BP

Mystery that needs to be solved

I have pole beans that are at the growth stage where the stalk/vine is just starting to grow past the first set of true leaves. One has been chomped down to the first seed leaves. Here is what makes it more of a mystery than the many topics like this one................ The plants are on a 3rd floor balcony so critters are out. What bug does this? All I see out there is ants, can it be them?

annastasia76

grasshoppers? Other night time bugs?

you should see what the grasshoppers have done to my sunflowers and I have only seen one so far.
Annastasia

BP

Have not seen or heard any grasshoppers yet. I go out on the balcony often to smoke so I will be taking the flashlight so I can catch the culprit.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

It could be Robins. I have seen these birds peck plants off in several places. I have inspected my plants very close for bugs, worms, etc anything a Robin might eat then walk 50 ft away and watch the Robins come and peck off more of the plants. I am not sure what that is about with no bugs to eat Robins are the only birds that cause damage to my garden. I have also noticed Robins only do this to young plants.

Birds are usually your garden friend but not Robins. Most years I do not have this problem but when I do I think it is the same bird doing all the damage. I have a very accurate Chine Air Rifle with a high power rifle scope for a Win 300 Mag I can kill that Robin easy at 100 ft then the problem is solved.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Squirrels...the plant destroyers from...ahem...H***! (place reputed to be either very hot or very cold, a la Dante). What about the possibility of squirrels?

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

BP

3rd floor balcony and I haven't seen any squirrels scale the building. No birds either, not even the poop. There are lots of robins around though. It was only one plant in the bucket bothered and there are 5 more. As for shooting the robins. I'm all for eliminating pests, but being that the robin is our state bird, I think it is protected? Even if it isn't I'm in citiotville and shooting even a pelet gun will have the boys at the door in notime so no shooting for me. Smallest caliber rifle I own is the .17HMR so that is out lol. I have been taking the flashlight out and don't see anything happening. No more damage since, so this one may just end up being a mystery forever? Thanks for the ideas

johnny123

I have seen birds come into my greenhouse and fly awy with half a plant.
If a disease doesn't kill them and a bug doesn't eat them there may be something left for you.
Zone 47 Sector C

donworden
Cool Member

I have an easy way to find out what or who is the offender.... Set up a balcony cam, and record for a day or two... The culprit will surely show up in the recording.
USDA Zone 5
Sunset Zone 41

BP

I have a trailcam, but nothing has happened since. The plant that got attacked now has 2 stems coming out of the main stem. Very interesting.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”