thequickness
Newly Registered

New veg garden placement to shade

Me and my two young sons are starting our first vegtable garden. We have tomatoes, peas, bell peppers, watermelon, cucumbers and green beans starting to sprout out of pots at the moment.

Should I make the garden in the area that gets unblocked sunlight from dawn till noon and tree shade after noon, or the area that doesn't get sunlight untill noon, but is unobstructed untill dusk?

Handsomeryan
Cool Member

thequickness wrote:Should I make the garden in the area that gets unblocked sunlight from dawn till noon and tree shade after noon, or the area that doesn't get sunlight untill noon, but is unobstructed untill dusk?
Noon till dusk.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

The morning sun will be cooler and help conserve soil moisture. It helps if it is full sun from dawn. Sometimes yards have obstuctions (houses, trees etc.) off to the east and miss several hours of early low angle sun.

nosta

Those crops need full sun. I argee with Handsomeryan, noon to dusk would be best. If thats not possible try to plant where you get the most sun exposure.

My garden gets full sun from 8 am until about 4pm and does great. The evening shade makes it nice for me to be able to get most of my work done after work.

Good Luck with your new garden.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”