LGithens
Newly Registered

I have a pea question too. I am growing both graden peas (I think they are Little Marvels) and Snap peas. Last year, my peas didn't do that well ( and last year I got my garden in really early, so all my cold weather crops did awesome except for the peas)

So this year, I ordered a pea fence. Then I decided to plant the Sugar Snap Peas, so I used the pea fence for those. I can't for the life of me remember how my mom used to grow peas, if she used a support of not (I do a lot of my gardening by try to do what she did, if I can remember!)
My Sugar Snaps are doing well with the fence, but I still don't have anything supporting the regular peas. Should I come up with a support of some kind? Any ideas of a simple support that I can still use or save for my fall crop that I intend to try?

Lori

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Lori,

An easy support is a few upright post with twine stretched between them. Peas like horizontal string, where beans like vertical.

Eric

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Peas do well planted early, and they like water. Keep them watered well. sugar peas get quite tall, and a support is in order. Shelling peas don't get as tall and I never use supports for them. I like to plant at least 3 rows 10 inches apart. They grow up and kinda support themselves. Doesn't matter if they topple over anyway, they will still produce. I you really want a lot of peas plant 5 rows of one of the freezer varieties, 15 feet long and ten inches apart. They all come ready at once and you can just pull the vines and go sit in the shade and pick peas.......... until you are sick of peas. :P

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”