gardenbean

About Peas

So my peas are about 18 inches or so and they have now started to grow little white flowers are them. Having never grown peas before, is this normal in the development of the peas????????

I feel pretty silly asking this question :D :oops:

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Are you supporting them. Unsupported peas compress at the bottom before they support each other and climb. Most peas grow to 30 to 36".

My Super Sugar snaps will reach about 5ft.

Eric

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Yes, you need flowers to get fruit-seeds. Even those things that don't look like normal flowers such as corn silks and tassels are flowers.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Oh, Are we talking about the flowers. :oops:

Flowers
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20Vegetable%20Garden%20plants/DSC03424.jpg[/img]

Eric

Blue Cohosh

DoubleDogFarm wrote:Oh, Are we talking about the flowers. :oops:

Flowers
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20Vegetable%20Garden%20plants/DSC03424.jpg[/img]

Eric
Your peas look great, they are at about the same stage as my Cascadia Sugar snaps here in southern CT.

I really like the idea of planting lettuce at the base of the pea rows. The lettuce leaves are attractive looking, what variety is that?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Thank you,

The lettuce is Red Sails.

Eric

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Yes, the little white flowers are normal. You will soon have peas to eat.

gardenbean

Sorry gusy for taking so long in respond back. I've been busy in the garden............ :lol:

Hi Jal and T-Z. thanks for answering my question. I felt silly asking but have never grown peas before.

Hi Eric, yes my peas are supported (kind of like what you are using for your peas) however, my peas are about have the size as yours. This year the weather around here hasn't been all that great for gardening so I consider my blessings for having them this tall.

And yes your plants look awesome :) What what I like more is the iron work behind them. Is that a shape of a Black Lab? I have a Black Lab too. He's bulit like a table- :lol: but has a heart of gold. He's almost child-like.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

And yes your plants look awesome What what I like more is the iron work behind them. Is that a shape of a Black Lab? I have a Black Lab too. He's bulit like a table- but has a heart of gold. He's almost child-like.
Thank you, The gate is one of my welding projects. Like everything else, not quite finished. https://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Metal%20and%20Wood%20Garden%20Art/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ16

My dog Peppercorn will be 7 in Sept. She still acts like a puppy. :)

Eric

garden5
Super Green Thumb

All of those little white flowers will be pea pods before you know it.

gardenbean

@Eric, that gate looks awesome! And so do the peas and red sails :lol:

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Thanks GB.

Maybe this winter I can finish some of my metal projects. Right now I have a shop full of lawn mowers, garden tractors and line trimmers.

Some of the pea pods are over 2" long, but not filling out yet. :D

Eric

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/peas_violet.jpg[/img]

Some edible pod peas from a past garden. They had violet blossoms. These are growing without supports.

gardenbean

Jal- you sure have a way with growing those peas! Great picture of them.
For this year, how are your peas/beans doing? Mine are coming along though they are not as tall as I thought they would be, however here with haven't had a normal winter/spring. :lol:

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

My peas are a little late this year too due to the cool wet season we have been having. I put a pic up on another [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36717]Thread.[/url]

LGithens
Newly Registered

I have a pea question too. I am growing both graden peas (I think they are Little Marvels) and Snap peas. Last year, my peas didn't do that well ( and last year I got my garden in really early, so all my cold weather crops did awesome except for the peas)

So this year, I ordered a pea fence. Then I decided to plant the Sugar Snap Peas, so I used the pea fence for those. I can't for the life of me remember how my mom used to grow peas, if she used a support of not (I do a lot of my gardening by try to do what she did, if I can remember!)
My Sugar Snaps are doing well with the fence, but I still don't have anything supporting the regular peas. Should I come up with a support of some kind? Any ideas of a simple support that I can still use or save for my fall crop that I intend to try?

Lori

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Lori,

An easy support is a few upright post with twine stretched between them. Peas like horizontal string, where beans like vertical.

Eric

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Peas do well planted early, and they like water. Keep them watered well. sugar peas get quite tall, and a support is in order. Shelling peas don't get as tall and I never use supports for them. I like to plant at least 3 rows 10 inches apart. They grow up and kinda support themselves. Doesn't matter if they topple over anyway, they will still produce. I you really want a lot of peas plant 5 rows of one of the freezer varieties, 15 feet long and ten inches apart. They all come ready at once and you can just pull the vines and go sit in the shade and pick peas.......... until you are sick of peas. :P

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”