ozark_rocks

will they get along?

I found a good looking watermelon plant, not a seedling but not far from it, as I was weeding my peppers today. The peppers are about 10 inches tall, the watermelon has about 6 leaves and is too big to be moved, so do you think they will get along? My concern is the melon will out grow the peppers and crowd them. Would you pull the watermelon, or do you think I could train it away form the peppers?

The melon is probably a sugar-baby, we had a few bust while we were on vacation last year. I do have other melons planted, but this volunteer looks better than all of the vines I planted :? .

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

"A plant out of place is a weed." Is the old saying. Not sure I agree, I often let volunteer things grow in other rows. I would let it grow. Train it away from the pepper.

ozark_rocks

jal_ut wrote:"A plant out of place is a weed." Is the old saying. Not sure I agree, I often let volunteer things grow in other rows. I would let it grow. Train it away from the pepper.
Glad you said that, because I hate pulling healthy plants, and I can always pinch it back if it starts covering the peppers.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”