gundogblue
Cool Member

Onions and Corn??

Hi all,
I hope by this time everybodies garden is well on the way of being very productive. My tomatoes, peppers, stringbeans, eggplant, squash, and potatoes are doing very well. But my corn, and onions seem to be not doing very well. I planted the corn and onions (red, and white) on May 6th, so far the corn has only a few stalks out of the ground, and they're not more than a few inches tall. The red onions are coming up, but only about 3/4 of the row, the last 1/4 of the row has nothing coming up, those that are coming out of the ground are about four inches tall. Of the white onions, only about 1/3 of the row has come up. By this time should I have more corn and onions coming up above the ground? If they should have been up by now, should I just replant the corn and onions that are not yet coming up? I live in North-east IL, any help on this will be greatly appriciated.
Thanks,
Paul :D

Handsomeryan
Cool Member

Did/do you fertilize? Corn is a heavy feeder when it first comes out of the ground and without access to the nutrients it needs it will lack vigor.

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

I think I'm having similar issues with my corn, which is 4-5 weeks old and only 4-5 inches tall.

Does corn set its ears based on its maturity level or based on its time-from-planting?

e.g. if I fertilize properly now (any suggestions? :)) will I get good-sized corn late? Or will I get puny corn on schedule?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”