orgoveg
Green Thumb

Favorite weeding tool?

In the past, I have always hand-weeded everything (meaning just with my hands). I just preferred it and never really felt comfortable using a hoe. I'm getting a little older now and my knees/toes don't like all the squatting and crawling. This year, the weeds are very prolific.

I tried my standard hoe and I didn't really like it. So, I've been using my stirrup hoe and it works much faster and easier (for me). So, I'm wondering what are some favorite weeding tools? If you use a standard hoe, do you typically use the corners of the tool to dig at each weed or just scrape it toward you flat, or what? Do you prefer the soil dry or moist for this purpose?

I just know somebody is going to say mulch :)

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I just know somebody is going to say mulch
You read my mind. :wink: I was thinking mulch when I read your title. :lol:

Ok, I like the stirrup (scuffle) hoe. I also use a grubbing hoe and a Batchi gata hoe and I can't forget my Hori Hori.

Eric

Runningtrails

Wow! I had no idea there were so many different hoes! I use a standard hoe and use the corners, but I rely more on mulch for weed control. :)

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Dandelion/asparagus knife, which I call my "weed stick."

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

soil
Greener Thumb

I don't kill weeds but I love my grub hoe.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

I cant find any of these fancy hoes around here! I keep looking though

orgoveg
Green Thumb

I have a tool that most folks call a "pick-axe". My father always called it a "grubbin hoe". It's a big, full-size model. It wears me out in a hurry. Anyway, that's what I pictured until I just Googled "grubbing hoe". That's the very tool that I've wondered about for a long time. You see it used in old movies and photos. It's what the homesteaders used for centuries. I've never seen one at a hardware store or even yard sales that I can recall. I must get one of those. The batchi gata looks like a high-quality version of the same thing. I've never seen a hori hori; it looks very useful.

I've been using a dandelion digger since I was a kid, but I didn't know it was designed as an asparagus knife. Interesting.

gardenvt
Green Thumb

Mulch and disposable latex gloves.

dirtyfingers
Cool Member

Lowes had this three pronged garden rake that works really well in the garden beds to turn soil over and dig up weeds. I still bend over to pick them up though.

I also have a triangular shaped hoe for weeding that works great also.

orgoveg
Green Thumb

soil wrote:I don't kill weeds but I love my grub hoe.
I'm really curious. Do you let all of your weeds grow?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Mulch and disposable latex gloves.
You can't get a green thumb with latex gloves on. :lol:

My grubbing hoe has about a 5" blade and a 6ft handle. The Batchi Gata has a 3" blade and a short 15" handle.

Eric

lily51
Greener Thumb

Interesting topic. My favorite is what I call "the claw", a three-pronged, short handled gizmo. It allows me to sit on the edge of the raised beds or on the grass by flower beds and dig away. Great way to get rid of stress!
I can really lose all track of time doing this.

Handsomeryan
Cool Member

11 replies and I'm the first to bring up the most fun and satisfying method of weed control ever conceived?!

[img]https://www.weeddragon.com/Assets/WeedDragonImages/Weed-Dragon-Action-2.jpg[/img]

[img]https://www.drpower.com/EmailProdImages/CAT0040-250.jpg[/img]

Weed. Flaming. Torch.

There is nothing in this world more satisfying than watching the weeds wilt and kneel before your awesomeness.

The torch works on the principal that plant cells are full of water which expands when heated. The fluid within the cells is already at about 100psi (this is known as turgor pressure) and so it doesn't take much for the flame from a torch to boil the water within the cells causing it to expand rupturing the cell wall and killing the cell. No, it doesn't kill the roots and some weeds may re-sprout but it is a lot of fun and since it leaves no residues the organic crowd can enjoy it too.

nosta

My 14 year old son. :lol:

dirtyfingers
Cool Member

Handsomeryan wrote:The torch works on the principal that plant cells are full of water which expands when heated. The fluid within the cells is already at about 100psi (this is known as turgor pressure) and so it doesn't take much for the flame from a torch to boil the water within the cells causing it to expand rupturing the cell wall and killing the cell. No, it doesn't kill the roots and some weeds may re-sprout but it is a lot of fun and since it leaves no residues the organic crowd can enjoy it too.
My father used to do that too. When they bought their retirement home in Hilo, Hawaii, it had a steep rear bank. My father used to strap a tank on his back, a rope around his waist and repel down the bank burning weeds as he moved.

soil
Greener Thumb

only the useful ones, they eventually crowd out the bad ones I don't want. most of the "Weeds" I have are eatable or medicinal in use. they also build good soil and keep diversity high.

orgoveg
Green Thumb

soil wrote:
only the useful ones, they eventually crowd out the bad ones I don't want. most of the "Weeds" I have are eatable or medicinal in use. they also build good soil and keep diversity high.
I see. I do let some of the purslane, amaranth, lambs quarters, wood sorrel, and a few dandelions grow but I need most of them out of the way. I used to grow all of the above intentionally from seed and I still do that with two of them. My biggest weed problem is crabgrass and maple tree seedlings.

orgoveg
Green Thumb

Handsomeryan- (Aw, man. I just called a dude handsome).

Ya, I do like to burn stuff :()

gardenvt
Green Thumb

You can get a good grip on weeds with latex gloves - its like a second skin. They are also great for dealing with a problem plant and not spreading any disease around the garden.

Containers and raised beds don't requrie a lot of tools. Hands are our best tools - a light second skin is a good thing.

applestar
Mod

I have a tool that was labeled Japanese Weeder. It has a very sharp offset triangle head that is sharply angled so that it skims just below soil surface. It comes in right and left-handed models so that the longer offset is towards your thumb.

It's great tool for working close. ... And I mean really close, like slipping that sharp point between the weed and vegetable plant and giving a quick tug.

I think I'd like to get an action/stirrup hoe for long handled standing work. looking around, there seems to be two widths available, and some are designed with replaceale/replacement blades.

I also like using my Japanese hand sickle. This spring, I finally bought a European scythe. It was available in a set with a sharpening stone with watertight clip on plastic holster. It's great because I can just half fill the holster with water and whip the wet stone out to sharpen the Weeder, sickle, and scythe as neede, though I still occasionally use a handy stone if I forget the holstered sharpening stone.. 8)

Alicemae

Handsomeryan wrote:11 replies and I'm the first to bring up the most fun and satisfying method of weed control ever conceived?!

[img]https://www.weeddragon.com/Assets/WeedDragonImages/Weed-Dragon-Action-2.jpg[/img]

[img]https://www.drpower.com/EmailProdImages/CAT0040-250.jpg[/img]

Weed. Flaming. Torch.

There is nothing in this world more satisfying than watching the weeds wilt and kneel before your awesomeness.

The torch works on the principal that plant cells are full of water which expands when heated. The fluid within the cells is already at about 100psi (this is known as turgor pressure) and so it doesn't take much for the flame from a torch to boil the water within the cells causing it to expand rupturing the cell wall and killing the cell. No, it doesn't kill the roots and some weeds may re-sprout but it is a lot of fun and since it leaves no residues the organic crowd can enjoy it too.
Truly genius - love it - I'm off to the hardware store!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”