dmaxs10
Newly Registered

asparagus???

hey I'm new looks like theres lots of good info here I got a question.
bought a house and theres an asparagus garden beside the rest of the garden and I don't know the first thing about it. when do I harvest it??? I have most of them seeding and are 4 feet tall and some shorter ones about 1 foot. does it matter how thick they are??? cause iv only seen them about the size of a pencil and most of these are like an inch thick?? HELP!! what do I do??? :?:

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

You harvest in the spring when the new stem emerge. You can cut about 30 percent of them and let the rest grow to the bush!.Mine are very young yet! You should have alot of new stems with those mature plants!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Does not matter how thick they are. Harvest the stems before the scales at the tip start opening up at all. You can harvest all the stems through the spring until about now, then you have to start leaving a lot of them to feed the plant for next year. Leave the stems (which open up into ferny fronds ) all through the season until they turn totally yellow, and then cut them down.

What a great gift someone left you, an established asparagus bed!

Handsomeryan
Cool Member

While you are outside admiring your asparagus, you may want to check for asparagus beetles that may be eating on your plants.

[img]https://www.organicgardeninfo.com/images/asparagus-beetle.jpg[/img]

These guys (and their larvae) prefer asparagus to almost any other plant. They have lots of natural predators but if they seem to be taking over a quick spray with something like Spinosad or Permethrin should knock them back.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”