tnordmann
Newly Registered

Better Boy Yields? & Califoria Wonder Green Pepper Yield

I think I'm going to try my hand and get into a farmers market booth this summer, but I'm having a hard time predicting what my weekly yields will be.

I have 50 better boy plants and 100 green pepper plants and 50 zucchini

So what do you think the yields would be for each plant per week? I've never sold at a farmers market, so do you think this is doable or am I delusional?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Oh, its do able. My experience tells me a farmers market is a good social event, hardly a money maker. Your mileage may vary..........

rootsy
Green Thumb

Without knowing the size of the market with regard to customers as well as competing vendors it is difficult to say. With the number of plants you have in the ground you should have NO issue supplying those products to a small / medium sized market.

You're going to have zucchini coming out your ears.

gardenbean

You know who you should speak with regarding this would be Eric from DoubleDogFarm. Eric does the farmers market and probably could give you lots of information. Just saying............ :D

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I grew only Better Boy for many years in high humidity in Louisiana and high, dry heat in Texas. The Better Boy plants were dependable to produce four to six ripe tomatoes per plant per week. Production continued consistently through June into July. A few early fruit were large and would taper off to medium sized fruits in late June. Production was typically dormant from mid July to mid September. They always produced a fall crop of much smaller, but very tasty fruit from mid September to first frost. I stopped growing Better Boy because they were so boringly predictable.

You will have a very large production of zucchini until the squash vine borers arrive. I've never been a fan of zucchini to grow or eat and I question the value of zucchini in a farmers market. Someone else can better comment on that.

If I was in a farmers market with lots of foodies as customers. I would grow some unique varieties of eggplant like white eggplant or long oriental eggplant as a cash crop. It is very popular and is an easy crop to grow with good production in the hottest part of summer.

I think I would probably also grow the Big Beef tomato hybrid for market. They make more large tomatoes of a higher quality than Better Boy. They also produce earlier, longer. and are more tasty than Better Boy.

Ted

tnordmann
Newly Registered

cool thank you for all the ideas. I must agree, eggplant would be a really nice addition to the garden.

Everything is going well, although I had a close scare since it hasn't rained since I planted everything. But I went out there with a hose and everything seemed to perk right up.

So hopefully everything goes well. 5-6 tomatoes per plant per week should be just the perfect about, allot but not too much for me just starting out.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”