ruggr10
Green Thumb

Not so happy squash and cukes, maybe??

Am I just being paranoid?

My recently transplanted summer squash and cukes yellowed a bit after transplanting. It's been in the 70s and 80s the last few days and I'm hoping they're just dealing with the "new" heat and with a bit of transplant shock.

I normally sprout from seed in the garden instead of inside. They have been hardened off for over a week so that's not the issue.

Maybe they're do for another round of seaweed and kelp emulsion??

bogydave

My squash leaves turn yellow, then almost white. But the new leaves forming are a nice green. Watch the new leaves. I harden off too, but 24/7 outdoors is a shock. Mine recover quick (about a week) with new leaves then I cut the old burnt ones a few weeks later.
Also if the new leaves are yellow, maybe too much water (I call it when I over water "too much love".)
I think I'm helping but I'm causing more shock with more water than needed.
Usually the above ground part is just adapting to the new environment.
Same thing for my squash this year, now they doing fine.

ruggr10
Green Thumb

That's great to know!
I was worried that I was going to need to put some seeds in the ground just in case these were dying!

I know it's not too much water as the little heat wave we have been having!

tedln
Super Green Thumb

We had a week of 30 to 40 mph winds with the temps in the low 90's. My summer squash and cucumbers quickly started showing signs of stress with yellowing leaves. The soil in the raised beds started shrinking back from the edge of the beds leaving about a 1/4" gap between the soil and the wood. I increased the morning and evening watering times on the timer by five minutes and that seems to have solved the problem. The squash were covered with new blooms this morning and the growing tips of the cucumbers are growing faster.

Ted

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”