Spongegirl
Cool Member

I need to my harvest my lettuce at its best; when is that?

I want to present some great lettuce to a restaurant. I need to know how best to care for it so it maintains sweetness and crispness.

Am I missing anything when I...?
water the garden the night before and pick it early the next morning, give it a cool water soak with a little vinegar for a couple of hours, and transport it in misty plastic bags.

This is my first year of growing lettuce and it is looking great! Most is loose leaf and many different varieties. Some will form a head and NONE have been affected by bugs except for an occasional aphid.

Any advice or experience stories is fantastic, thanks!

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

How you explained is how I generally pick my lettuce. I only grow leaf lettuce and wind up clipping individual leaves off the stems to prolong the season of the plant.

I'll pick early in the morning and put it directly in a plastic bucket with cool water in to begin the cleaning of any grit and ridding it of any bugs. I'll then take it under my porch area (I have a 2 story house) and rinse it in another bucket of fresh water and put it in those plastic grocery bags after shaking off as much water as I can. It is still pretty damp at this time and I'll put it in my fridge to either use or give some of it away to neighbors and family. It will stay crisp and fresh that way for over a week in my refrigerator's vegetable bin. I do use a salad spinner to remove any excess water before using it in a salad.

Spongegirl
Cool Member

Great thanks! I read that lots of water make it less bitter before picking and that young leaves aren't as bitter as older ones. This is definately true of baby romain but I don't think I can say the thing for other loose leaf varieties.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

The USDA has strict guidelines for selling greens. If you cut the stem at ground level and sell the whole plant, not a problem. However if you in any way remove or cut the leaves it is considered processed, and you may need an inspection. You can wash it to remove excess dirt, but again do not sell it as ready to eat.

Spongegirl
Cool Member

Really? I did not know that; but that is why I am studying Agriculture. I don't know where the education will lead me but I can't wait to learn more. Thanks for that, I actually got an idea for a research paper from what you told me...got me curious and I have many questions! :)
where do I find specific guidelines of the USDA about selling food to the public. Is farmer's markets restricted? Is the food industry regulated by states as well as funded by the federal? hmmmmm.

orgoveg
Green Thumb

My best experience, so far, has been with Tom Thumb Butterhead lettuce. It has very thin, light green leaves. As with all of my greens, I first soak them in salt water to loosen the dirt. Then I agitate them, remove from water, and repeat twice with fresh water. I put them in any container or plastic bag and refrigerate for a couple of hours which makes them nice and crisp.

I guess that's not any more helpful than what was already said, but refrigeration is the key for crispiness, in my opinion.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”