Rogue11

Pollinating Cucumbers

It's the first year I am growing cucumbers and my plants have finally begun to flower. Curiously the Persian cucumbers have started developing mostly females flowers and only a few males. This morning I had 5 female flowers opening but only 2 males. So I am wondering, is it possible to hand pollinate more than 1 female flower with 1 male?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Yes.

nosta

Yep, I have been hand pollinating my sqash for about a week now. I use a male flower to pollinate up to four females. Same should work for cukes.

I can't tell you how disappointed I am that it seems the bee population here has disappeared this year. I saw a carpenter bee at the end of April for 3 or 4 days and then no more. :cry:

applestar
Mod

Do you plant to attract pollinators?

In my garden, I have weedy plants like ground ivy and garlic mustard that bring in the bees in early spring, then dandelions, clover, vetch. The fruit trees too.

Right now, the mustards and radishes that have bolted attract bees and other beneficials, as well as patches of grass that are flowering. Of course more flowers that have been planted for flowers are blooming now, including Honeysuckle, Baptista, Primrose, Amsonia, LAVENDER, etc., etc., etc. 8) :lol: :wink:

It looks like from your photo threads that you could keep your own bees too, lucky you! I live in a residential area that are prohibited :roll:. :?

nosta

in the back we have petunias, morning glory's, marigolds, sunflowers, bachelor's buttons and portulaca(sp?). I have never been a "flower" type until this year when my wife insisted we plant some. Still fumbling around learning all the nuances of flower gardens, but think we are making progress.

We have always had a plentiful ammount of bee's before so I never really considered planting things to attract them.

Wish I could do a beehive at the back of my property, I have about 100 yards depth into the woods beyond the garden. The county gov't just passed an ordinance prohibiting beehives in residential areas. Sadly, I fit the bill on that one. :evil:

nosta

nosta wrote:Yep, I have been hand pollinating my sqash for about a week now. I use a male flower to pollinate up to four females. Same should work for cukes.

I can't tell you how disappointed I am that it seems the bee population here has disappeared this year. I saw a carpenter bee at the end of April for 3 or 4 days and then no more. :cry:
Bee's are back. spotted this guy and quite a few honeybees today. no more hand pollinating. :D

[img]https://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb478/nosta2/week%206/100_4491.jpg[/img]

DeborahL
Green Thumb

I have a huge bottlebrush tree in my yard. In spring the bees swarm all over it. Sounds like a helicopter !

bogydave

Since I have to grow cucs in a Green House here. Next year I plan on trying
parthenocarpic cucumbers:: (seedless, no pollination needed)
Sweet Success is on the top of the list so far, Camilla a close 2nd.
I spend time every day searching out females & pollenating,
Am getting to be a good pollinator but I alway miss a few females
or sometimes have no male blooms for pollen.
This year I'm growing a (beta alpha) Gynoecious variety ( produce mostly female flowers) with 2 normal monoecious variety for male blooms (& fewer females) for a pollinator.

Beta-Alpha: (mostly females )
[img]https://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj269/bogydave/Beta-A.jpg[/img]

Pollinator: mostly males (but a few females)
[img]https://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj269/bogydave/Pollenator.jpg[/img]

farmerlon
Green Thumb

nosta wrote: The county gov't just passed an ordinance prohibiting beehives in residential areas. ...
In this case, ignorance is not bliss!
(the ignorance of the county government, that is)

Rogue11

I have another question to the topic. A week ago I started hand pollinating my first female cucumber blossoms. Since then the flowers have started to wilt and drop off. I know if a cucumber (or zucchini, or squash) isn't pollinated it will eventually wilt and fall off, but how long does that usually take? In other words,when will I know if my pollination attempt was successful?
Thanks

bogydave

After the bloom wilts, watch the little cuc, if it starts to grow, "you dun good"
If it starts to turn yellow & dry up , not so good.
Takes 3 to 5 days after the bloom wilts to notice the change.
Patients. Also if you got pollen, (you can usually see it on the end of the small paint brush, yellow/whitish dust looking) chances are you got it fertilized.

Rogue11

Thanks. I have to admit Patience has never been my strong side, but I'll do my best. :)

Actually, I didn't use a paintbrush. I saw a video on Youtube on pollinating by taking off the male flower, removing the pedals and applying the pollen to the female flower's stigma directly from the stamen.

gardenbean

Maybe spraying sugar water with a handheld bottle on the plants would atrract the bees and also planting bee friendly plants" may also help.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”