Rogue11

Radishes Bolting

For the first time since I started a vegetable garden at work I took a whole weekend off (until now I have checked on the plants every day since I live pretty much across the street) When I came back this morning I noticed that some of my radishes have started to bolt. It wasn't even that warm lately, only in the mid 70s.
Will those radishes that started to bolt stop growing? Should I just pull them? and what can I do to stop the others to do the same?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Pull them all and wash them up and eat them. Plant some more. When they start to bolt no more growth on the root, and it gets tough.

You need to keep radishes damp so they make fast growth from germination, then they will make a decent root. If they dry out they will bolt. They will bolt any way at some point. When they are at that point not much you can do.

Rogue11

Thanks.
Only some of them have bolted. About 20% maybe. should I pull all of them anyway?
Also, would it help if I give any new radishes that I plant a little shade during the day?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I would give them full sun, a little fertilizer and keep them damp. How large of roots do the others have? If they are an inch in diameter you can eat them. If smaller, keep them damp and see if they will grow a bit more. If some have bolted, it is likely the rest are not far behind. You can take a finger and push some soil away from the bulb and see how they are looking. What variety? I have had good luck with Cherry Belle. Some of the other varieties ....... not so good. I have found it pays to carefully place the seed when planting to 2 inches apart both ways. If you give them room they will make a better root quickly. Good luck.

johnny123

The cooler temps helped them.
They are not a hot weather plant.
Best time for radishes is spring and fall.
They like moist soil, cooler temps and full sun.

Rogue11

jal_ut wrote:I would give them full sun, a little fertilizer and keep them damp. How large of roots do the others have? If they are an inch in diameter you can eat them. If smaller, keep them damp and see if they will grow a bit more. If some have bolted, it is likely the rest are not far behind. You can take a finger and push some soil away from the bulb and see how they are looking. What variety? I have had good luck with Cherry Belle. Some of the other varieties ....... not so good. I have found it pays to carefully place the seed when planting to 2 inches apart both ways. If you give them room they will make a better root quickly. Good luck.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.
I am not sure what variety. The kids came home from a birthday party with little Disney planting kits. It just said Radishes, and the picture was of a round radish with a red bottom and white top. We tossed the tiny pots and I had them put the seeds in the ground instead. I guess it is possible that they forgot to water them over the weekend while I was not there.

Rogue11

johnny123 wrote:The cooler temps helped them.
They are not a hot weather plant.
Best time for radishes is spring and fall.
They like moist soil, cooler temps and full sun.
We really haven't had much heat yet this year. Aside from one week in April when it was above 80's it has been below average temperatures. From the responses I assume the soil was not kept moist enough.
Thanks.

johnny123

Glad to help.
Enjoy them.
I eat them like popcorn watching tv.

johnny123

Forgot to say mixe some peat and sand in the soil to help hold moisture.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”