hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Walk through the garden

The first two short clips are of my main gardening area, which is a mix of conventional rows, planting blocks, raised beds and planters.

Original beds and planting areas:
[url]https://www.flickr.com/photos/aghenderson/5776077147/in/photostream[/url]

Expanded area, in ground, corn in rows, squash in hills, tomatoes mostly 3 gallon pots set in ground.
[url]https://www.flickr.com/photos/aghenderson/5776174777/in/photostream/[/url]

Three raised beds 3-4 years old.
[url]https://www.flickr.com/photos/aghenderson/5776261323/in/photostream/[/url]

Eight raised beds of raspberry plants. Said three in the clip but is actually 8.
[url]https://www.flickr.com/photos/aghenderson/5776350353/in/photostream/[/url]

orgoveg
Green Thumb

Enjoyed that. You definitely stay busy. Nice property.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Very nice. Here I am today under a blanket of snow. Grrr. Send warm weather please.

nosta

Nice setup there. I love that Arbor.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Very nice Alex. You sure have a lot going on there. If I had land it would look like that.

One of these day's. :wink:

tnordmann
Newly Registered

cool garden, I like the tomato cages

stella1751
Greener Thumb

That is a huge garden. I liked the concrete between the beds best. One day, years down the road, I want to do something like that. This year, I think I will experiment with a thick layer of grass clippings between beds. I have a terrible weed problem there, one I just can't keep up with.

Why do you leave your tomatoes in pots? Are they peat pots or bottomless plastic pots?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

The concrete area was originally a carport slab for a house that was moved away. I laid the skirted grid off beside that pad.

If I were doing it again today and didn't have the concrete pad to work from, would probably just get rolls of three foot black plastic and three foot weed guard fabric, or just heavy mill black plastic if could find some that is sunlight stabilized. That is what I've done to the side and the back of the concrete area. Most plastic sheeting that I've found is not sunlight stable so it is not suitable for a top layer. Landscape fabric is sunlight stable, but weeds and grass will still grow through it eventually. So the combination gives a durable impenetrable barrier that will last for years. I have access to large round bales of hay, and use that as a top mulch to protect and to improve the appearance of the barrier. Also the hay protects the plastic from the sun, so it will last much longer when covered.

It is pretty easy to simply take the fabric and lay down the perimeter which will define the area plus block the encroaching grass from the surrounding area. Next take strips of fabric and lay out a grid which defines the walk areas and the bed areas. If constructing this year for next, would then cover the open bed areas to solarize and kill the grass. This method is working very well in all of my gardening areas outside of the concrete area.

The reason I started using a barrier to create a skirted buffer is because of our very aggressive coastal bermuda that grows throughout the yard. That grass has not been a problem over the past 15 years or so, since I finally decided to use three foot buffers to block its encroachment on the gardening area.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

It has been raining so much here that planting has been hard.
Looks good; lets eat.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Alex,

I think your personal description of an eclectic gardener is very accurate. You tie everything together in a sensible and attractive manner. Very nice. I consider your style to be productive landscaping instead of simply vegetable gardening.

Ted

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Really enjoyed the videos Alex. You are "handi" and have put some work into that setup. As you know from other posts, I am interested in the 3 gallon tomato experiment, as I have a bit of a test going on as well.

Thanks for posting the video tour, and keep us up to date on the tomatoes.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”