ruggr10
Green Thumb

It's Maine, it's not yet June and...........

My broccoli rapini and pac choy are already bolting!!

Here on the coast it's 79 degrees right now and been in the 70s the last few days! Who'd have thunk?!

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

its because all the plants are confused because it had been in the 40's and 50's for so darn long and one day it turned summer just like that. I swear everything is confused LOL! it went from freezing, to heat wave just like that. heck, I'm confused LOL!!!!

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

Sounds like the same as here in SD. Its been in the 50's and 60's (high of 57 yesterday) now today its 86 with 50mph gusts...fabulous South Dakota. So I have to batten down the hatches. We have a tornado risks tonight with storms that will straight line winds, heavy hail etc / microbursts...same old same old. One of these days I'll move.

If I am not mistaken, Maine has a very similar climate / weather pattern.

https://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/compare/57106?sfld1=Sioux%20Falls,%20SD%20%2857106%29&sfld2=Bath%20maine&clocid1=USSD0315&clocid2=

ruggr10
Green Thumb

Similar climates, but luckily on the coast no tornado warnings... That's gotta be scary. Where I am we're also lucky to be right on the coast. Milder winters and summers.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

yep. 86* here today too :)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

86°? Nice try 40° with snow. Welcome to Cache Valley

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/snow_mem_day.jpg[/img]

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

Oh MY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

ruggr10 wrote:My broccoli rapini and pac choy are already bolting!!

Here on the coast it's 79 degrees right now and been in the 70s the last few days! Who'd have thunk?!
Don't be shy about harvesting those flowering stalks and bringing them into the kitchen, Ruggr. They are likely to be surprisingly sweet.

Extreme cold can also prompt bolting - that is, after the plant has warmed up enuf to grow! I don't know if your 40° with snow will do that for you Jal, generally, one hopes not. Shake the plant and it falls back on its "prime directive" of reproduction and not vegetative growth.

(I'm sure lightening strikes will do that too, :roll: .)

I have a few bok choy that are trying to flower. They were transplanted out when things were fairly nice but the temperature dropped to 35°F in one of my gardens last week so that might be part of the problem - plants are still not all that big.

The other problem may be the flea beetles. It didn't take them long to do some damage out there almost before they were noticed! I will try to slap them down with some organic spray today and give the plants some relief.

Succession plant the pak choy, Ruggr! I can't help think that the environment you have for them should be good at various times thru the season. I mean, if you just stood back at this point - they'd reseed themselves and try to take over :wink: .

Steve

ruggr10
Green Thumb

I cut the broccoli florets and some leaves right away. We ate them uncooked and they were great. I've never had rapini broccoli before. They are supposed to produce more sideshoots and florets so I'm hoping for that. I will be planting more pac choy for succession planting, but since they were only a few inches tall I wasn't ready yet. Everything is in raised beds so they're in a happy place. I would let them go to seed but I'm not sure how far they'd travel.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

BrianSkilton wrote: One of these days I'll move.
Hah! that's a good one. Where you gonna go? :P

It's nuts everywhere else as well. :cry: We just went through the cold/tornadic wave straight the the heat wave. Jal has snow, the deep south is in a drought.

The is year will be a challenge.

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

True gixxerific but I just get sick of these winds! Just none stop wind always 30mph or greater. It will get better as the middle of summer gets here. I know the whole US is under some strange weather. Jal I hope it warms up for you! That's not a pretty sight when you want to be growing some things. The weather is very very strange though.... not really for here so much... but some of the things that have been happening don't even seem natural.

gardenvt
Green Thumb

We've been through cold, floods, high winds and then it got hot the last few days - 90 today with high winds (again).

Our basement has flooded twice this year (normally once every 3-5 years) and got just a bit of water three other times - this year alone! They say we won't be able to get to the beaches on Lake Champlain until maybe July (record flooding and the parks/beaches are all under feets of water.

You are right - the whole country is dealing with extreme weather patterns.

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

It is odd that it would effect the entire US. I hope things level out here for us all...

As far as the wind here, that happens every spring to mid-summer. We have several counties that shouldn't even be marked as counties anymore because they are completely flooded out. Fort pierre and pierre are flooding they are trying to make make-shift levies. We have the the army core of engineers working around the clock to try to protect those area's. Basically any area with low land or a lake and the Missouri river have flooded out.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”