greg1186
Cool Member

groundhog destroyed it

so I planted 6 dill plants I was going to use to pickle some of my harvest... I planted em not more them 4 hours ago and I just went to weedwack and GONE! nothing but chewed on nubs. I know a groundhog lives under my shed because I see him all the time and two years ago he went under the fence and ate my cauliflower... but I didnt know they like dill? he left my rosemary plant. anyway... I don't have the heart to kill him and leave a widow and fatherless children. haha

BP

I just can't understand how anyone would rather sacrifice their harvest for a groundhog instead of eliminating them. No dill for you now.

johnny123

Get a dog.
Woodchuucks won't live around a yard with a dog in it.
Get a collie and it will get the woodchuck.

orgoveg
Green Thumb

There was a discussion recently in which someone mentioned stuffing a rag in the hole soaked with ammonia (to drive the groundhog away). I can't wait to try that.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

You cold also consider trapping it with a have-a-hart live trap. You can take it out to the country then and release it.

Of course, there's always the option to put up a fence.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yup.. I live with a groundHOG on my property. She did a number on my broccoli this year, ate all my new broccoli seedlings (that weren't fenced in) down to the ground. So then I put up the deer netting fence I usually use, which usually works to keep her out and put out more broccoli seedlings. Some how (I still haven't figured this one out yet) she managed to get to a lot of those too, but not all, I am harvesting some broccoli now.

But I figure she (or her ancestors) lived here before I did and I try to keep the back half of my yard wildlife friendly. So I just try to keep things fenced in with the deer netting that I really don't want her to get. Mostly it works and we coexist.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”