sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

need some liquid fertilizer I think.

What is a decently priced one that I can get at walmart or some place like that... one that isn't a chemical one? I put the cucumbers and squash in the ground and they're all yellowy. and the tomatoes have been purple for some time. I used a bad soil mix when I planted the seeds, I think it was nutritionless. I tried to save $ this year by cutting corners and I don't think I'll be doing that again.:( wasn't worth it. I put them in the ground a few days ago hoping that they'd get happier, but not yet. they're just not happy in color.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

You may give them a few more days. If you soil is healthy, the plants should turn around.

To answer your question about fish fertilizer, I would go for any of the Hydrolyzed fish emulsion. Well worth the money.

Eric

orgoveg
Green Thumb

I'll second the motion for hydrolyzed fish fertilizer, if you can find it. Fish emulsion is almost as good and is more available in my area. If cats are a problem, the scent will attract them. However, I have not experienced that. If cats happen to come by, they just sniff it and lose interest quickly.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

one of my neighbors said to get fish guts at the coast from fishing companies. and puree them and soak them in water and use the water. and voila fish emulsion. is that really the way? LOL. IDK if I want to do that LOL.

I'll look for some fishy stuff today at the store :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Fish emulsion is great stuff, but I can't use it. I have not only cats but raccoons in my yard daily. The raccoons will definitely tear your plants out of the ground, trying to get to the fish. But if you don't have as many critters in your yard as I do, go for it.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Wal Mart sells some really poor fertilizer.

15/15/15 is excellent for most things I get a 50 lb bag at the farm are garden store for about $20. Put a hand full of fertilizer in a 5 gallon bucket then fill it with 5 gallons of water. Stir well for a few minutes then pour the water on my plants.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

oooh. I don't want raccoons! That is the last thing I want to do is attract those. I have chickens and I don't wnat them ripping them to shreds either. hmmmm. (we've seen them in the area before but I don't want to attract them back)

hmm. now what is there that isn't a chemical fertilizer?

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Another benefit with the fish emulsion is that you water it down, so you can make it last longer.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I think compost is best, but just look around, there's lots of organic fertilizers out there besides the fish emulsion. Look for ingredients like kelp, alfalfa meal, corn gluten meal, cottonseed meal. I used the corn gluten meal on my lawn this spring and it really worked well to green it up and give it more vigor.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

corn gluten meal, Don't use it around newly planted seed. Corn gluten meal is a pre-emergence herbicide.

Eric

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”