DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Just order a pound of dry shelling beans

I ordered,

1/2lb of Etna (68 days)
1/2lb of California Blackeye 46 ( 60 days)

Have any of you have experience with these two dry beans?

I went for these two because of the short maturity dates.

Eric

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I found some interesting things on them:

[url=https://www.plantertomato.com/2010/06/growing-etna-bush-beans-and-recipe.html]Etna[/url]

[url=https://ucce.ucdavis.edu/files/filelibrary/5506/25615.pdf]California Blackeye[/url]

soil
Greener Thumb

I love beans, we grow a lot of heirloom varieties from Mexico.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Soil,

Have any good advice on growing dry shelling beans?

Eric

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Blotting off all the bean plants after one of your Western Washington mists, Eric. Terry cloth towels should work well. Those little packets of desiccant that are in medicine bottles - scatter those around the garden.

:wink:

Okay, I suspect that it wouldn't be a good idea to crowd the plants. Air circulation is important. And, especially so for your part of the world.

I've noticed that you plant in beds, Eric. I often plant beans in beds and tend to crowd them, a little. One thing that helps keep the pods off the ground is to run baling twine ~ even for the bush beans. Keeping the twine taut allows the plants to lean on the twine even if they aren't a vining variety.

I don't know about your California Blackeye. The Etna is a bush type, as I understand it. Commercial ag is usually "in charge" of crops like this. They have bred bush varieties for their own purposes. That doesn't mean that a bush Pinto, for example, is best for the home gardener. You may want to explore pole beans for your dry bean crops.

Steve

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Blotting off all the bean plants after one of your Western Washington mists, Eric. Terry cloth towels should work well. Those little packets of desiccant that are in medicine bottles - scatter those around the garden.
LMFAO Nah! I'll just plant Wax beans. The water will bead up and roll off. :P

I'm tilling up the 6ft aisle I have in the garden. This will be used for beans, corn and maybe squash. I like the baling twine idea. I'll make a grid with post and twine.

I'll look into pole varieties also. Thanks Steve.

Eric

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”