gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Beans planted between my peas good idea or not?

I planted some beans I had to remove cabbage to do so but I really don't think it was going to make it with the sudden heat wave we should be in for a while.

But I have more beans I want to plant. I have 3 rows of peas that are now flowering so it shouldn't be too much longer on them if they make it through the heat. I thought about planting some bean seeds in between the pea rows so the beans would be spaced about the same at the peas but just offset a bit.

What do you all think? I would have to assume the peas will be gone before the beans would get crowded by the peas.

Too much to plant and not enough room! The story of my life. :lol:

applestar
Mod

The trouble with doing that is that the pea vines will die off while the beans are wrapped around them and you won't be able to put them apart.

I've heard of planting peas on one side of the fence and beans on the other. I'm guessing this way, there is still some degree of separation... (Wait, wasn't that a movie? I didn't see it, was it about peas and beans? :> :lol:)

So the answer is yes this will work, but you need to be creative.

One possibility is to use bamboo poles or something similar to have the beans climb up in the beginning until you have the chance to remove the pea vines. (Well, actually, I'd just pull them down and use them as mulch :wink:)

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Thanks Apple.

But the way I see it these peas will be gone before the beans are up. Or at least that is what I would like to happen. The beans shouldn't even germinate for a week or two hopefully the peas will have begun to be harvested by than. Than there is the growing time. I don't want to grow them together I'm hoping of more of a succession thing here.

Really though summer is on it's way and it gets ugly here, not Texas/Florida ugly but ugly non the less. So if these peas don't do something soon on there own mother nature may be calling them back anyways

You just know I have to do it anyways and see what happens don't you? :lol: To the garden I go.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Ya, do it.

I did something similar, I was looking for a spot to plant a few more beans, and lo, there was a little space right by the peas, so now a row of beans 10 inches from the peas. These are bush beans though, so whether they grow up before the peas are done is of no consequence. I had a spot or two where something had not germinated well, so I put pole beans in those spots.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I like the idea, I say go for it.

I see the peas as a good source of nitrogen. I would cut the peas off at the ground and leave them for the beans to climb. Cutting will release the nitrogen and the vines will go brown. Also I'm thinking, if the pea vines turning brown, will less likely hide the beens at harvest time.

Eric

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”