scrooster
Newly Registered

Blossom End Rot

My tomatoes are coming in, about the size of a dime as of today but they'll be taking off shortly.

I know it is time to sidedress with 33-0-0 but also, I wanted to facilitate getting some calcium into the soil that will be easily absorbed at this stage.

Any ideas or advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I've had a little problem with BER in the past and I am hoping to circumvent the issue by being proactive beginning now.

BTW, before you ask, I got busy and did not have time to lime this season. My bad.

In the past I have used this bottle of "End Rot" I think it is called, to end BER. But I have had mixed results with it - and it has to be applied liberally and regularly. I need something I can sidedress with that will supply need calcium to my tomatoes, peppers and squash.

My soil is very sandy and acidic. I live well below the fall line but not near enough the coast to pick up the calcium benefits they enjoy down there from sea shell remains, etc.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Please see the very helpful [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25876]Sticky[/url] in the Tomato Forum about BER; maybe some of the suggestions will help! :)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Calcium nitrate. It is one part of two part hydroponic fertilizers. You can usually buy the two parts separately. But by the time the plants need the nitrogen the BER damage is done. Get a soil test to see if you are low on calcium, and if so garden lime (crushed limestone/dolomite --powder or pelleted/prilled) is the cheapest way to go ($3 for a 40 pound bag) or you could do as many people suggest and use Tums tablets or dietary calcium supplement tablets, or powdered milk, or drywall mud compound, but 40 pounds of those might run you a bit more than the garden lime.

Handsomeryan
Cool Member

Even/consistent watering is also important in preventing/reducing BER.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Handsomeryan wrote:Even/consistent watering is also important in preventing/reducing BER.
There it is! That has been the cause of BER when it has occurred in my own tomato patch.

My garden soil is very porous and water is almost entirely from irrigation. It rains little and seldom here during the summer months. Soil calcium is abundant.

I've done much better with avoiding BER in recent years but I've had to pay careful attention to soil moisture.

Steve

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

I used to have major problems with blossom end rot. Make an eggshell soup. Put egg shells in a quart of water, let it sit for a day at room temperature and then pour the soup around tomato plants. I do so every 2 weeks. I haven't had BER ever since. :D

On the other hand, tomato hornworms are brutal this year. :cry:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”