SharonCC1
Newly Registered

Re: some kind of bug egg???

I too have seen these in all of my home plants that were near one another only & wondered what they were.., I picked through them & resoiled my planst, as I did I did see some tiny bugs borrowing so I did a bit of research & found this..

https://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/orn ... beetle.htm

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

What did the "tiny bugs" look like?

I really think all the previous comments were right and they are balls of liquid fertilizer.

Pop one. If it is fertilizer, it will pop and spray a bit of liquid out. Then it will be just an empty shell. None of that would be true if it were any kind of egg.

What hatches from a beetle egg is not a "tiny bug," it is a tiny worm/larva. They would be minature versions of these guys:

gunner9122007
Newly Registered

Hello everyone. I want to start off by saying that I have been gardening for years. I do flowers as well as vegetables. I have to deal with these things every year. They are slug eggs. The best way to deal with them is to place a barrier around your plants. This barrier can consist of anything dry and rough. You want to keep in mind that if you use something that will get soggy when it rains, you will need to redo the barrier. The best thing to use is coarse sand mixed with lime. When using this, it is best to make the barrier at least 4 inches wide. The slugs will not cross this because the sand causes scratches on their bellies and the lime causes them to, for lack of a better word, cook. I hope that this has been helpful.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Get several moles for your yard they eat, grubs, slugs, cut worms, wasp larvae, termites, ants, bugs, eggs, just about everything. Moles live in the shade where soil is cooler, they like very large shade trees and north side of your house. It appears moles do not eat fishing worms my garden has lots of worms and I have lots of moles.

gman4691
Newly Registered

Those are, in all likelihood, some type of snail or slug eggs. I found some very similar under a rotting log where there has been no gardening or fertilization (e.g. perlite, potting soil, etc.) of any kind. A day or two later, I found a pretty large slug on the same log. The ones that I found were about 1/16" - 1/8" in diameter and in a bundle about 1/2" long in total (maybe 10 or 15 eggs). Too large for insect eggs. Frogs and most toads lay their eggs in the water. Salamander eggs are larger than these. So I'm going with slug eggs as an answer.

gman4691
Newly Registered

As it turns out, the ones I found were snail eggs. Watched them for several weeks before they finally hatched. The baby snails were about almost as long as an ant.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”