TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Trap crop for deer.

After cutting down weeds along the perimeter of my garden fence yesterday, I left two of the three gates wide open....because I'm stupid that way. It happens once or twice a year, but surprisingly the deer tend to jump the fence (also once or twice a year) rather than walk in. I think that the open door invitation confuses them. Anyway last night a deer walked in and filled up on my sunchoke/Jeruselem artichoke plants and left the strawberries, tomatoes, peas and lettuce alone. Same thing happened last year with minimal damage to some of my peppers. I think that I will put in a couple more sunchoke planters in strategic places inside the fence next year. The JA grows huge and fast so the deer can eat a lot of it (which they do) and the plant's growth is not bothered (unlike sunflowers from seed). Unfortunately the sunchokes are so popular they don't survive outside the fence.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

What kind of fence do you have? I have not had them jump mine;it is an invisible deer fence.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I pulled up an old broken down stock fence and put it up for the garden. It has cotton clothes line strung at 5.5 ft and 7 ft with a bit of barbed wire here and there. Sometimes a section of clothesline sags or gets taken down for this or that and a deer will get brave and jump in. It works surprisingly well for having 6-10 deer walk past it twice a day.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”