garden5
Super Green Thumb

Your onions look great, Jal.

Glad to hear you had a nice day to garden. I've had a few myself as well.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Memorial Day

Had 4 inches of wet snow. It was heavy enough to break tree branches all over town.

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/snow_mem_day.jpg[/img]

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/snow_mem_day2.jpg[/img]

nosta

Wow. I envy you for the views you have there, but not for the weather. My Southern bones would not like it at all. I hope you thaw out soon.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Today was a nice day too. I helped my son for a while on his plot, then after lunch I spent some time weeding my plot. I uncovered the tomatoes and peppers and watered them. I am thinking we are past frost now, but will keep my fingers crossed. One never knows in this country. Things are finally starting to grow now that we are having some warmer days.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

A nice day here also, James.

Only the 2nd day with a temperature above 75°F. The 1st time that happened, there were wind gusts above 40mph! It was terrible! Too windy to be considered warm and the blowing dust was terrible - I guess I already said that . . .

Anyway, a lovely day. My gardens are full except for more space for a 2nd & 3rd planting of sweet corn and more green beans. The cucumbers were mostly killed by the 35° and were replaced. I should have known better and kept the cukes with the melons for another week. Both are out now.

Actually, the eggplants are the only transplants left to put in but, knowing your attitude towards this veggie, I hate to mention them.

Steve :wink:

BP

Did you lose anything with the cold and snow?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

The snow didn't hurt much. I had 6 cucumber seedlings that were just in the cotyledon stage and they didn't like the snow. The seed leaves turned yellow and they looked like they would die, but now they are sending out a real leaf. Cucumbers don't like cold. I had planted these few early just to see if perchance they would make it. My later planting of cukes has not germinated yet. I expect to see them any day.

gardenvt
Green Thumb

Your view is just amazing and your garden is located in a prime spot for just that. It must be interesting/challenging to see how your garden fares in unsettles late spring weather.

You may not stake your tomatoes but you went to some trouble to create a "cover" for those tomatoes when you put them out. I'm assuming that they are all fine.

You are an inspiration for the rest of us. Take the compliments and enjoy your wonderful garden and all the lovely days that come your way. Yu have certainly earned it.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

gardenvt, Thank You!

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/slate_slide.jpg[/img]

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”