jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Very Nice Day

We had a nice day today. It was forecast to rain, but didn't make it yet.
I was able to run the tiller between all the rows in my garden, do some hoeing and weeding between plants, plant beans, cukes, melons and a few other things. Oh, and believe it or not, I made a trellis for the sugar peas.
I have some space reserved for more corn, but aside from that I am done planting. I am out of space.

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/garden_troy.jpg[/img]

The onions and garlic are the largest things in the garden right now. There are lots of smaller things out there, but it doesn't show up in the photo.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

its looking awesome!!! love it!

I'm still nervous about planting melons, but if you do it where you are at, I should be able to as well. which is reassuring to me :) I just need to put them in the ground, I'm being a wimp about it LOL!!! I need to make a tent thing first. I think I'll do that tomorrow. your posts are always encouraging to me:)

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Right there with you James. Onions and garlic are doing the best. And as you said there was a big bright light in the sky today, someone told me it was called the sun. I will have to look that up. :wink: :lol:

But of course there is intermittent rain and possible showers tonight but after that, this sun thing they talk about. lots of heat as well.

I am out of room too mine is way more crowded than yours though due a smaller area. But done planting, I think not. I am getting more devious even if that means pulling things that won't do well soon than so be it.

Good luck to you and happy gardening. :D

Enjoy your weekend, it will be busy here.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

In my garden this morning: 35°F, after a windy day yesterday. Big clouds, a little rain and some sun breaks today . . . I'm not quite there yet, James!

The cucumbers, squash & pumpkins were set out 2 days ago. They may be frosted over the next 2 mornings but - I've got more of all of 'em. The melons are hiding out, back in the greenhouse with the peppers & eggplant.

This will be the latest that I've planted tomatoes & peppers in 30 years! Then, I gardened at about 500 feet higher elevation. I've been across the tomato patch 3 times with the tiller because of delays and rainstorms. I'm not quite there yet, James!

I've got some space for edamame soybeans and sweet corn. Harvested a good bunch of bok choy and some green shallots, today. I'm not quite there yet, James but the bit is between my teeth and I'm in the starting gate!

Best of Luck to You & Everyone!

Steve

orgoveg
Green Thumb

Gorgeous scene, as always. Is your native soil as good as it looks in your garden? It's nice, rich-looking black stuff.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

The native soil is a silt loam. It has sand, silt and clay. It has a good phosphorus and potassium content. It leans toward the alkaline side. Yes, it is a good dark soil. I try to add lots of organic matter to it each year. Put more on than I take off. This area was once covered by the ancient [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Bonneville]Lake Bonneville[/url].

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Glad you've had a good day ! You've earned it !

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I'm so glad that you've *finally* been able to get plants/seeds into the ground! Memorial Day. Reminds me of when I was a kid in Cheyenne.

The growing season was reputed to be between Memorial Day and Labor Day, but we were told that it could be shorter than that. And water was rationed even way back then....

People still managed to eat, although I doubt they grew such abundant crops as you do, not in Cheyenne! :D

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Cheyenne is 1000 ft higher than I am here. That will make quite a difference. I am about 1 degree latitude more North, but I think the altitude is the big thing.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:Cheyenne is 1000 ft higher than I am here. That will make quite a difference. I am about 1 degree latitude more North, but I think the altitude is the big thing.
The "big thing" is what you always demonstrate here: consistent work with the soil, knowing your planting conditions, what the soil will provide and what it won't, what it *might* provide and throwing a few that way as well, and lots of good, old-fashioned WORK. Modest, to chalk it all up to altitude--although that does obviously play a part!--but no lazy gardener can bring in a wagonful of harvest like you photograph for us! :D

Cynthia

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

But, I am lazy. That is why I won't stake tomatoes nor trellis cukes. :shock:

Today was nice again until late afternoon then it rained again. I guess my newly planted seeds got watered. I didn't work in the garden today. Had other "Honeydos".

The forecast is for rain through Monday. Some nice warm weather would be good here. It has hardly hit 70 yet. Maybe one or two days for an hour.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Woke up this morning to an inch of fresh snow on everything. :roll:

This should be interesting to see how it will effect the squash that are just in the cotyledon stage. I don't think the snow will hurt them, but if it gets cold after the snow it will be curtains.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

What the????????

Good luck Jal Hopefully it is going to warm up fast and melt off.

Woke up today with heavy fog and about 60 supposed to be in the low to mid 90's later. :shock:

applestar
Mod

Wow That's a lot of snow on Memorial Day weekend. :shock:

I kind of wish I was one of your plants buried in that snow. We're experiencing a heat wave here that is not normal at all, though I expect all the private swim clubs around here as well as the NJ shore boardwalk shop keepers are ecstatic since this is their opening weekend.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I emptied the rain gauge. We got 0.97 inch overnight. Luckily the temperature was around 40°. The test will be when this blows over. Often when a storm moves out it turns cold. The snow that came this morning melted. The prediction is for rain/snow again tonight and Monday morning. Clearing Monday evening. The temperature for the next few days doesn't show any frost. Most years we are home free after the first of June. One never knows though.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Your onions look great, Jal.

Glad to hear you had a nice day to garden. I've had a few myself as well.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Memorial Day

Had 4 inches of wet snow. It was heavy enough to break tree branches all over town.

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/snow_mem_day.jpg[/img]

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/snow_mem_day2.jpg[/img]

nosta

Wow. I envy you for the views you have there, but not for the weather. My Southern bones would not like it at all. I hope you thaw out soon.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Today was a nice day too. I helped my son for a while on his plot, then after lunch I spent some time weeding my plot. I uncovered the tomatoes and peppers and watered them. I am thinking we are past frost now, but will keep my fingers crossed. One never knows in this country. Things are finally starting to grow now that we are having some warmer days.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

A nice day here also, James.

Only the 2nd day with a temperature above 75°F. The 1st time that happened, there were wind gusts above 40mph! It was terrible! Too windy to be considered warm and the blowing dust was terrible - I guess I already said that . . .

Anyway, a lovely day. My gardens are full except for more space for a 2nd & 3rd planting of sweet corn and more green beans. The cucumbers were mostly killed by the 35° and were replaced. I should have known better and kept the cukes with the melons for another week. Both are out now.

Actually, the eggplants are the only transplants left to put in but, knowing your attitude towards this veggie, I hate to mention them.

Steve :wink:

BP

Did you lose anything with the cold and snow?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

The snow didn't hurt much. I had 6 cucumber seedlings that were just in the cotyledon stage and they didn't like the snow. The seed leaves turned yellow and they looked like they would die, but now they are sending out a real leaf. Cucumbers don't like cold. I had planted these few early just to see if perchance they would make it. My later planting of cukes has not germinated yet. I expect to see them any day.

gardenvt
Green Thumb

Your view is just amazing and your garden is located in a prime spot for just that. It must be interesting/challenging to see how your garden fares in unsettles late spring weather.

You may not stake your tomatoes but you went to some trouble to create a "cover" for those tomatoes when you put them out. I'm assuming that they are all fine.

You are an inspiration for the rest of us. Take the compliments and enjoy your wonderful garden and all the lovely days that come your way. Yu have certainly earned it.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

gardenvt, Thank You!

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/slate_slide.jpg[/img]

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”