sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

spinach dying

its been warm the past few days and the spinach is shriveling up and dying :( I thought it would maybe bolt or something with the heat, but not die! the soil is moist enough. IDk what gives. first year really trying spinach.

gardenbean

I'm a newbie gardener here and I am waiting to plant my spinch in the fall time, but maybe the heat is getting to it and making it wilt. I think spinch is a cool crop and doesnt do well in the hot temps. :shock: Bummer though, having it wilt.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Plant some swiss chard in its place. Chard does well in the heat and many use it as a spinach substitute. I have two varieties in my garden growing next to my cucumber and pole bean trellis.

Try Bright Lights, it is very colorful and tastes great to boot. I also use it raw in salads and the colors of Bright Lights gives the salad bowl instant eye appeal.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

I planted bright lights but I can't even tell if it came up because I forgot which place I planted it in and there are weeds starting now. I don't know if it is weeds or the swiss chard thatcame up LOL. either way, its growing slow as molasses. I don't think it has true leaves yet and it was planted over a month ago. :(

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

sheeshshe wrote:I planted bright lights but I can't even tell if it came up because I forgot which place I planted it in and there are weeds starting now. I don't know if it is weeds or the swiss chard thatcame up LOL. either way, its growing slow as molasses. I don't think it has true leaves yet and it was planted over a month ago. :(

Here's a remedy for making sure you know where you planted what. I go to the local lumber yard and get a few packs of wood shims. They are about 6 inches long and 1 1/2 inches wide. I'll use a laundry marker to write down whats planted where with a directional arrow added and just stick it in the ground. Someone on here mentioned using those white plastic knives you use at picnics and such.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

^ also, vinyl siding can be cut into appropriately sized pieces, written on with pencil (seems to stay longer than even 'indelible' markers like sharpies)...works well.

no reason to go buy some vinyl siding, but a nice way of repurposing if it's gotta come off anyway.

applestar
Mod

Bright Lights should be comparatively easy to identify because most of them will have yellow, orange, pink, or red ribs once the true leaves start to grow out. :wink:

Didn't you say your garden's soil is on the acid side? I have problems growing spinach and Swiss chard and my suspicion has been that it is related to soil pH. Mine are doing somewhat better this year but the ones planted in the old potato bed -- which was pushed to the acid side intentionally to prevent scab -- shriveled up and died. Now the heatwave has hit and I am once again losing spinach, though the Swiss chard are loving it.

I will master spinach growing technique for my area one day. I wasn't successful last year, but I'll plant fall spinach later this year again. Spinach is "supposed to" do better in fall around here. :roll:

Maybe I have to believe in them more, but I have a hard time believing that spinach, which jal_ut sowed by pushing aside snow earlier this spring, will sprout and grow in the heat of August.....

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

problem with marking everything is that I have 3 chidren :lol: I'm aways hurrying to do everything as fast as I can because my window for gardening is small as I'm aways chasing someone LOL! so yeah. that explains my tomato mixups and all my other mixups. one day when they're all older I won't have this trouble. but for now? I get to deal with veggie mixups :shock:

Apple, you have a great memory! awesome :) Yes, my soil is acidic. I've added lime in my garden, but ya know what? I didn't this year. I forgot. thank you for the reminder. shoot! hmmm.. I wonder if it is too late. I hope my tomatoes don't get BER this year because I forgot the lime.

yeah, today was 89*. yesterday was 82*. last week it was 48*. the spinach was happy then :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll try and take a peek to see if I can spot swiss chard. I'm pretty sure I know which block it was in.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”