gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

How do you store radishes?

I was cutting up a fresh salad a min ago and noticed some of my radishes are getting soft. I have a gallon ziplock full of them. Can you freeze them without injury or do I start eating more radishes and fast.

If stored in the fridge how long do they last?

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I'll just place them in a storage bag in the vegetable bin of my refrigerator. I find they will last about a couple weeks before getting spongy. I've never tried freezing them and don't know if that would work but I think not since they are mostly liquid. I've also never heard of anyone pickling them either but I'd bet that would be interesting. Sounds like a project the next time I have some radishes.

seargantbaker
Newly Registered

I've had success with keeping them submerged in water in the fridge they seem to keep crisp for a long time.

applestar
Mod

How close do you cut off the top?

Tigergarden
Newly Registered

seargantbaker wrote:I've had success with keeping them submerged in water in the fridge they seem to keep crisp for a long time.

I've seen this done in restaurants and it does seem to make them keep a good while. I can't say for certain that it effects flavor/texture but I have a hard time believing it doesn't have some effect.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I cut off the top and root and wash them then put them in a quart bottle, put a lid on and put them in the fridg. I just eat them fresh. I have never tried to do anything else with them.

ButterflyGarden

I also have this problem with my home grown radishes. They become soft the same day I pick them. However, the ones I buy stay for several weeks. I can't figure out what the difference is.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for the ideas.

But don't forget them in the basement like I did. I had another harvest I forgot about and they have grown 8+ inch tops in a crowded pot, no soil, not much light. I can say they are very willing to grow wherever. :wink:

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

ButterflyGarden wrote:I also have this problem with my home grown radishes. They become soft the same day I pick them. However, the ones I buy stay for several weeks. I can't figure out what the difference is.
Better gardening through chemistry. :roll:

seargantbaker
Newly Registered

Tigergarden wrote: I've seen this done in restaurants and it does seem to make them keep a good while. I can't say for certain that it effects flavor/texture but I have a hard time believing it doesn't have some effect.
I cut it immediately below where the stems attach. Once I forgot about it and several weeks later the radish had cracked from absorbing so much moisture. It was still crisp and perfectly edible but not ideal so if you know for certain you'll eat them soon I'd just omit the water.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

I like the idea of storing in water, but I'd use spring water or distilled.
I go through alot of produce as I have two little rabbits. If I crisped up some Romaine or collards in tap water, wouldn't they suck up the chlorine and other gunk?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”