gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Scapes: To cut or not to cut that is the question?

My garlic has been throwing up scapes for a min now. Some are bigger than others. Should I cut them off or let them go. I know you can use them for cooking and I have also heard that leaving them on will result in smaller bulbs.

So saying that I would be stupid not to cut off the scapes. Just looking for your opinions.

If you do cut them where do you cut them at? And at what point of growth do you cut them.

DDF I know you are a garlic fiend, so what's the skinny, Jal, any one.

Thanks.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Donno,

Wait until you have two loops on the scapes, then cut them off. I cut them right above the leaves. Cut all of them, unless you want to try garlic seed. You will end up with smaller bulbs if left on.

Something like this. Not exactly two loops
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Garlic%20June%2015th%202010/DSC02300.jpg[/img]

Eric

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Thanks DDF, but why wait for 2 loops? What is the reasoning behind this?

(the more odd question is why do they loop in the first place that is kind of weird? Though there may not be a good answer for that!)

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I was afraid you would ask me that. :) It's just common practice here. Maybe it's to get the largest scape without losing bulb size.

I would cut before no more than two loops.

Eric

applestar
Mod

I thought the loopy scapes was a trademark of Music variety. do all garlic scapes make loops?

I'd like to know the best time to harvest the scapes for eating. 8)

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I almost got away. I need to go do some work. :lol:

I believe all hardneck garlic produce scapes. Here again, maybe two or less loops is the optimum taste for scapes.
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20produce/DSC02346.jpg[/img]

Eric

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

this is interesting! now I wish I knew which variety of garlic I'm growing :lol:
Sheila, gardening on the zone 4b/5a line.

gardenvt
Green Thumb

We just built our raised beds this year so I put in some garlic just for the scapes - or green garlic. In the fall, I will plant some garlic to harvest next year.

Anyone have recommendations for garlic varieties?

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I start snapping scapes off as soon as they loop a little bit because I don't want to wait any longer to eat them. Harvesting enough for a meal every couple of days gets rid of all the scapes before they get too tough to snap off.

In my limited experience of growing two hardneck varieties (Klaver and Chesnok) the one with the biggest bulbs and fewest cloves (Klaver) had the biggest scapes by far.

A note on letting the scape mature and produce bulbils...I left an open bowl of bulbils sitting on the counter all winter,... long after the bulbs were dried out, and the bulbils had not dehydrated at all. I raked them into a little patch of the garden and now I have a little lawn of baby Klaver growing. If you leave some plants to "go to seed" the covering paper on the cloves will decay in the ground so you have to use the cloves soon after digging. Digging the garlic while it still has 4-5 green leaves on the top ensures strong paper around the bulb.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Just cut a few for a salad I'm making with all fresh ingredients. These will make a nice compliment they taste like mild garlic. Got to go I have a whole lot more to cut up.

Fresh lettuce, radishes, scapes, baby red onions, baby carrots.

Yum yum!

Could someone please tell me why I never grew garlic like this before? It is my all time fav spice/flavoring.

I was wrong, so wrong. :oops: :x

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Anyone have recommendations for garlic varieties?
I like Music

Eric

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote:I almost got away. I need to go do some work. :lol:

I believe all hardneck garlic produce scapes. Here again, maybe two or less loops is the optimum taste for scapes.
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20produce/DSC02346.jpg[/img]

Eric
Nice Eric, you grew that lovely lettuce too? I forget what its called but I believe its German? Did you get the seed from the SSE? I liked the tennis ball best...
Why buy produce when you can grow it?
-Nick

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

The picture is from last year. Lettuce on the left is Buttercrunch and on the right is Speckles.

Buttercrunch came from Territorial and the other from Botanical Interest. Both are butterhead varieties.

Eric
Last edited by DoubleDogFarm on Fri May 27, 2011 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soil
Greener Thumb

scape pesto...yummmmm
For all things come from earth, and all things end by becoming earth.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

soil wrote:scape pesto...yummmmm
Something I need to learn how to make and am thinking about very much.

Yummmmmmm is right. :wink:

By the way I have Music and Cheznok Red in my garden for those of you wondering.

Next year I may go further. My garden might be all tomatoes and garlic and onions they are the best of the best in my opinion. Everything else just compliments these.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

What are the blue flowers? Garlic? (I've never seen garlic growing).
God must think highly of animals - He created them before creating us !

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Blue flowers? If you are looking at my picture the center vegetable is broccoli. It's a loose head, starting to open.

Eric

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I am growing hardneck this year for the first time. No scapes yet. I will wait and watch.

[url=https://gardenmegamall.com/garlic-porcelain-musik-org-1-lb-seed-bag]Check This Out[/url]
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”