gardenvt
Green Thumb

Weather is not cooperating :-(

I thought I would get some of the tomatoes and peppers in this week and the wind has been so strong even I don't want to be out in it. Monday had winds at 25 gusting to 40 and Tuesday was just a bit better. It has been this way all spring. Yesterday was cooler with a light north wind - a pleasure to work in. But with the forecast for today, no way was I planting anything

Today - the winds are high again and the forecast is for strong thunder storms and HAIL. We often have high winds and strong storms this time of the year and I had originally planned to put off planting until the weather settled a bit more - June 1. I've been feeling impatient to get them planted but Mother Nature has finalized that decision for me!

All the rain, all the cold, all the wind and now hail. Oh, hail.

So, the "kids" will head back to the "tent" for protection from the hail and pelting rain - at least from this afternoon thru tomorrow. We will hopefully be through planting by May 31 - traditional planting out date in Vermont.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Ah feel your pain. I've been getting my stuff in piecemeal as the weather permits. The first set of tomatoes went into clay mud. The soil was prepped when dry enough but then it rained again with more in the forcast, so in they went. I hilled my potatoes yesterday because big hail was in the forcast. I usually get everything in a little late (around June 1) because I just don't get it done, but this year I was early and prepared, but Mother Nature seems to like June 1st.

donworden
Cool Member

I agree about the weather not cooperating.... Apparently we have to do our thing at Mother Natures leisure. I normally have my garden ready and planted no later than the middle of may, but mainly end of June. Sadly with the lack of cooperation between mother nature and my blasted tiller.... I am planting very late.... good thing I have 55 day maters.

BP

Where are you in Michigan? I'm in Genesee County and we are hoping to get Mom's garden tilled in a couple days since it looks like Saturday-Monday will be the longest stretch of no rain in the past 6 weeks. Hopefully planting Monday. We have our fingers crossed.

Signal30
Cool Member

I finally thumbed my nose at mother nature. I planted a couple weeks ago. Grant it, I do raised beds so I may have a bit more control over the soil, but because the soil was so wet I ended up mixing bagged garden soil in to have something better to work with.

I did have hail split one of my tomato plants but I think she will pull through.

With modern technology, we can almost control everything in our gardens except the weather.

Look on the bright side, watering isn't a big concern.

donworden
Cool Member

I live in Kalamazoo County. Good luck with your target day. It's still dripping intermitantly dowh here. I still have half of my garden to work and plant...

BP

donworden wrote:I live in Kalamazoo County. Good luck with your target day. It's still dripping intermitantly dowh here. I still have half of my garden to work and plant...
We went and got her plants today, we'll see if we get them in Monday?

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

gardenvt wrote:I thought I would get some of the tomatoes and peppers in this week and the wind has been so strong even I don't want to be out in it. Monday had winds at 25 gusting to 40 and Tuesday was just a bit better. It has been this way all spring. Yesterday was cooler with a light north wind - a pleasure to work in. But with the forecast for today, no way was I planting anything

Today - the winds are high again and the forecast is for strong thunder storms and HAIL. We often have high winds and strong storms this time of the year and I had originally planned to put off planting until the weather settled a bit more - June 1. I've been feeling impatient to get them planted but Mother Nature has finalized that decision for me!

All the rain, all the cold, all the wind and now hail. Oh, hail.

So, the "kids" will head back to the "tent" for protection from the hail and pelting rain - at least from this afternoon thru tomorrow. We will hopefully be through planting by May 31 - traditional planting out date in Vermont.

I know what you are going through with the wind. Every spring here in South Dakota we have wind storms. I'm talking winds 30mph gusting to 50mph sometimes more. It is awful. that is why I purchased Wall o Waters. They keep the plants warm and they stop the wind from getting to the plants. My neighbor thought it was a good idea so he bought some red buckets and cut the top out and used that to stop the wind (a lot cheaper). The Wall O Water is a little hard on the colder weather things like the brassica's but I'd rather have them get too hot then crack in the wind.

Rain, rain, rain, rain....that is really all its been doing. I'm glad I tilled my beds in time very early in the spring. Next year I'm going to do what Jal suggested and just till and amend in the fall. But clearly something is happening to our normal weather pattern. Well we have never had a "normal" pattern here in SD it seems. Its so crazy lately.

lily51
Greener Thumb

North central Ohio is having the same problems. :( 4-5 days of rain, then 2-3 without, then repeat. Add coldness and wind and it's been a frustrating spring.
It's affecting the greenhouses and garden centers, farmers and the mood of the general population!
Hopefully, the weather becomes normal soon, if there is such a thing.

donworden
Cool Member

I remember back in the 60's the weather was what I call normal.. A rain shower here, a shower there... With days of sun between... This year I can feel it in my bones that it is gonna be a very wet season because of those pests... La Nina and El Nino.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

It's been either high winds, rain, or snow for the last three weeks or so here. I've been planting only if I have to, when the plants get too big to keep inside anymore. So far, I've lost all of my watermelons and all but one pumpkin. I had to set out two tomatoes and three peppers that wouldn't have made it any longer in the house. So far, they are alive and hanging in there, but the forecast for the next four days is high winds and lows in the 30's, maybe snow on Sunday.

In six days, we might hit our first 80 degree day of 2011! I hope the seedlings in the house can hold on until then; I can't up-pot them this close to planting, but they must be rootbound by now.

I keep reminding myself that last year was much, much worse. This year, there is an end to the rain/snow/wind/cold in sight. Five more days of ugly weather for us, and then it should be smooth sailing for the rest of the garden season. I hope everyone else is equally fortunate!

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Yesterday Mother nature threw it all at us...like a political commercial sound bite.

Most of the day was cloudy, then we got a little sun then two minutes of hail, two minutes of heavy sheat rain, two minutes of very strong gusty wind, an hour of partly cloudy, then a sprinkle of rain. I was able to get out and pull some weeds out of the soft soil and evaluated my early spring drainage project, I.e watched a lot of water run down the pipes and ditches under and around the garden.

Today is the start of about a week or more of mostly dry weather.

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

I was lucky to get everything in the ground and protected before the weather patterns changed for the worst. Last year we go so much flooding not to mention storms like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zw5rtRlj4I

I shot that in my garage last year. Keloland (our weather station) confirmed 80+mph winds. Its just weird how decades can go by and we don't see anything like this, but in recent years this has been an regular thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpEn7Nh-xQ4&feature=channel_video_title

I didn't shoot this stormchaser video but this was one of our first thunderstorms. As you can see it was nothing compared to that microburst, but still...we are in May not July!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”