Trippynet
Newly Registered

Pepper plants in trouble

Hello, I've recently tried growing a series of pepper, chilli and tomato plants. These have been mainly grown in the porch of my house (3 sides glass windows, receives lots of sun and can get quite warm if left with the doors closed).

Until recently, all was well. However, several of my pepper plants have recently started to develop thin papery-like patches on the leaves and have begun wilting as a result. I don't think it's heat or sunlight related as the last week or so where I live has been considerably more cloudy/cooler. These same plants had seemingly no trouble in withstanding 5-6 hours of direct sunlight and 35-40 degree temperatures a couple of weeks ago.

The plants are being watered every couple of days (once the soil feels dry) and are in drainable pots.

There's a picture of the problem [url=https://spider.dur.ac.uk/images/IMG_1109.JPG]here[/url].

Several of my other pepper plants are not experiencing any problems at all, it just seems to be limited to a few plants at the moment. Searching around on the net doesn't seem to have provided any real answers as of yet.

Anyone have any suggestions what the problem might be?

Thanks in advance!

wiscopeppers

here is a pretty good guide of different pepper problems.

[url]https://ipm.ncsu.edu/vegetables/pamphlets/peppers/peppers.html[/url]

your picture looks a bit like their picture of Phytophthora blight.

but searching google images I've also found images of sun scald and fertilizer burn that look pretty darn close to your plants.

Trippynet
Newly Registered

Hello, thanks for your response. The fertilisation possibility looks especially promising. We'll try giving the plants a thorough leeching to see if this helps at all.

Many thanks for your advice!

veteran

What is the plant in the picture?

You said you are growing "pepper, chilli and tomato plants". Was the image of a tomato? The reason I ask is from the picture it looks tall for so few leaves. I have heard of problems from overheating during germination, and from over fertilizing that does this to peppers, but if it's a tomato it's probably fine there.

Mites cause a chlorophyll depletion, which could be in a strange pattern like the white on your leaves, although is normally more circular. The curling of the leaves could be from too little/much sun or water. It is possible you just have two different problems.

My advice: Stop fertilizing. It's not necessary. If peppers keep in temperatures of 29-35c (85-95f). Water them when the soil is mostly dry (as you said you have been) don't let it dry completely out. And the big one, because of the uniqueness of your situation. Maybe England uses a lot of chlorine in their water? Let your water sit overnight before using it, so all the chlorine evaporates.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”