sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

Extra warmth for melons and peppers

OK... so, I was thinking of giving the melons and peppers some sort of a cover to keep them warmer until the nice heat sets in. So, do you think a row cover with plastic over it is sufficient? do I need to close off the ends at all you think? I'm not sure how to close it off. or if I need to close it off, I would guess I would need to if I want to keep the heat in, right?

I have 6 of those politician metal sign holder thingies for one row... not sure what to do to hold the others though, ideas on what I can use?

thanks so much!

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

do you think that a clear sterilite container/box thingie will let enough sun rays in? I could maybe put some of those over some things where I need something extra/

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Just remember to lift off or open during the day to prevent overheating. A long overall covering is more forgiving than individual boxes.

Eric

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

thanks! do you think I need to close it off on the ends for cool days?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Yes. Just extend the plastic beyond the frame, bunch up and weight it down with a rock.

Eric

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

What are you looking at for low temps in the next week?
Anything above 32° F is not going to be a problem.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

oh the temps won't be that low :)

I just thought I read on here before that melons and peppers like it hot and will perform better if hot. so, I was trying to help them be hotter.

I've never had great success at peppers, and I've never done melons before. People have told me its not hot enough here for it. but, what do I know. I know I don't live in the south, but its not freezing here either, ya know?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Sheila,

Did you see James's PVC wedge tent? It's open on the ends. I think something like that would work. It will raise the temps some and keep the rain off.

Eric

farmerlon
Green Thumb

sheeshshe wrote:OK... so, I was thinking of giving the melons and peppers some sort of a cover to keep them warmer until the nice heat sets in. So, do you think a row cover with plastic over it is sufficient? ...
For me, I would just go with the row cover alone, and omit the plastic covering. That way, you will still get some air circulation, and not have stagnant air trapped under the plastic. Also, the row cover will allow rain to get through; so water will not be as much of an issue.
As mentioned, you will want to vent (or remove) the row cover on hot/sunny days, so you don't overheat the plants.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

For me, I would just go with the row cover alone, and omit the plastic covering.
Lon, I agree and that is what I use. Agribon. I usually recommend plastic because it's cheap and easy to come by.
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20Vegetable%20Garden%20plants/DSC03269.jpg[/img]

Eric

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

ahhh.. making sense now. I was going to do the row cover WITH plastic. now I see that there are things that allow the rain to get through. gotcha!! I need to see jals tent... off to see if I can find it :)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

[url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35877]Tent[/url]

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

OMGosh, that is BRILLIANT!!!!! totally brilliant!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”