sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

that is good sound advice. and I think I may follow it :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You being in maine may have less bug problems than southern gardeners. You also have a much shorter growing season, so less time for plants to get "tired" and spent. If you don't get hit with the SVB's (ask your neighbors or a local garden shop if they are an issue where you are) you may not need to replace your plants.

I'm one of those who has (this year anyway) given up on growing zucchini, though I am trying acorn squash, which the SVB's are said not to like as much.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

last year was the first year we had SVB. now that you say what you just said, I bet I know why. we had a REALLY early spring and it was super hot. and lasted through the summer. I wonder if that had something to do with it. This year thus far, we've had a non-existent spring :shock: its been cold and damp. a few days back it was 48* outside! two days later it finally warmed up and was 82*. what a shock that was LOL

But, do you think the weather had something to do with it last year? should I not expect to get them this year since we didn't have an extra long summer like last year?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I am sure the weather patterns effect the insect populations too.

On squash, those varieties of the species Cucurbita pepo (crookneck, zucchini, patty pan, acorn, delicata, some pumpkins) are the ones the vine borers really like to attack because they have hollow stems.

Butternut is C moschata and seems to be resistant to the borers. It does not have a hollow stem.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

that makes a lot of sense too. they attacked the pumpkins and yellow squash last year. but didn't touch my cucumbers.

farmerlon
Green Thumb

sheeshshe wrote:and I do this EVERY year. I over plant! ...
I am getting better at it, but I always seem to plant way too many Tomato plants. The temptation can be hard to resist. Next year, I think, I will have learned my lesson, and I will strike the right balance. :D

I will also try to do a little bit better on not spacing my Broccoli and Cabbage plants too tight... it's all starting to fall into place.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

LOL, glad I'm not the only one ehehehhe

speaking of spacing, how do you space your tomato plants? Mine were too close last year and I ended up with a lot of early blight.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I try not to plant my tomato plants closer than 5-6 feet center to center. That gives at least two feet between plants after they are fully grown.

Avonnow
Green Thumb

I live in Florida and we have very limited space for plants, but I make the most of my raised beds and get recycled pots from others trash and barrels, etc to plant my other seedlings. I do agree with others, if I only planted two or three of something - I will have nothing in no time, some bug, or weather or careless gardner(ME :lol: ) will knock or break something. I started (for my small area) with 25 tomato plants, and while I do have most, I lost about 5 right away from some sort of sudden death! We had a horrible wind store get a few others and then you have what you have. So I say plant away - it saves me alot of fustration and depression down the road. I want my hard work to pay off one way or another. I have packed alot of stuff into my raised beds and they seem to do fine. My tomatos are slowly coming to end here in Florida. Over all I plan on doing more next time, while happy with what I got, I would like more for canning and such. Good Luck. :wink:

stella1751
Greener Thumb

This year, for the first time ever, I am experimenting with an excess of spacing over an excess of plants. My big pepper plants (Habaneros and Hybrid Big Chile II's) are gonna get 4 square feet of space each, for 8 plants per one 8 x 4 bed.

Because peppers are such hardy, forgiving plants, I always squeeze as many as is humanly possible into one bed. They will thrive; they always do. (I suspect peppers would be a weed up here if it weren't for our cold winter weather :D ) However, I got to wondering this spring how they might do if they weren't all crammed together.

I just finished carving out a bed for the HBC II's. Despite the ugly forecast, I'm gonna plant the remaining five today. Now I have three days, weather permitting, to get one ready for the Habaneros. It will be fun to see how much space really matters to these guys!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”