cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

Garlic! Again...

So... I heard, once the garlic tops start to yellow its time to pull the garlic up. I am having a heck of a time trying to post pics, so I kinda gave up. But my garlic has been in the ground for oh quite a while now, very tall, and almost half yellowed (one actually looks like its falling over...) The tops are curling over, drying out (the middles are green, so they aren't all brown)
Think they are ready to pull?
Thanks guys!!

TWC015

They are probably ready since they are yellowing and falling over.

You can check to see if they are a good size without pulling by just removing the soil down to the bulb. Since garlic roots are below this point, it won't harm the plant if it still needs a little more time.

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

Oh perfect! I wasn't sure if I could check it like that and didn't want to mess it up!
Thank you! I shall check it this evening!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Here are some picture from last year. An example of snooping :wink:

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20Vegetable%20Garden%20plants/DSC02334.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20Vegetable%20Garden%20plants/DSC02333.jpg[/img]

Are they a hardneck variety? Did they produce scapes?
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20Vegetable%20Garden%20plants/DSC02300.jpg[/img]

Eric

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

Umm... I am going to say hard-neck variety. Nothing fancy. I checked them last night and they all looked good so out of the ground they came! They look great, as far as I can tell.
But I did learn one thing... don't plant them too close or in a too small of pot. I had a bunch left over, so I threw them in a small pot and called it good. They all grew, small, but grew. I plucked one out and they all came out! Severely root-bound, but probably still usable at least in cooking.
Now to dry and braid!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I'm thinking if they didn't produce scapes, they either never matured or are not hardneck. :?

How about a picture of the harvest.

Eric

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

I will try to post a pic, been having nothing but problems attempting that.
As for braiding, thanks! They haven't completely dried yet so I should be safe... I hope! No barn or rafters to hang them from, but I got a spot in the garage to hang them.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Mine were full of moths when I hung them in the barn. They looked like pantry moths. Anyone else ever had that problem?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I will try to post a pic, been having nothing but problems attempting that.
Are you a member of Photobucket or Imageshack etc...?

Eric

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

yeah but been having issues... I will try again not to worry!

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

I just pulled all of my garlic the other day. It is still sitting outside on a screen to dry before I braid it all together. Most were turning brown and just starting to fall over so I pulled everything. I think I could have done better. Most of the garlic heads were a bit smaller than I expected (although still divided), but I also bought my garlic from the food store to plant last fall. Just because it seemed to be so much more expensive to but the bulbs the nursery was selling. But I did learn a lot this year, regardless.

they may not be huge but they still smell and taste like garlic and there is plenty of it. :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”