Inailum
Cool Member

Is This A Fungus?

Is this a fungus on my cucumbers?

[img]https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/inailum/Garden/DSC03714.jpg[/img]

veteran

Inailum wrote:Is this a fungus on my cucumbers?
-- Probably mites, did you check the underside of the leaves? Many pests cause a chlorophyll depletion which makes the leaves look like this.

OrganicTexasMama

Are the white spots visible on the under side of the leaves, too? I've had this in my zucchini for a week or two now. I'm not sure what's causing it, though it seems to be the least of my worries with these plants. :?

Are yours having any other issues? I know I've seen soil mites but I haven't noticed anything else (other than little black ants, but no aphids). I'm not sure if I've got a case of fungus going on (black patches) or something more insidious like SVB. :( I've done various treatments for fungus and bugs and they're still alive.. but I'm not sure they're thriving.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

My cuke and tomato leaves look like that too. :?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Fungi tend to grow on the surface of a leaf, so if the spots are removed or lightened when you rub a finger across the leaf, a fungal treatment might help. I will say, though, that it doesn't look like fungus to me. IMO, it looks more like a bacterial or viral infection. I'm not familiar with the foliar diseases of cukes, so I can't name anything specific without looking them up. :(

It easily could be damage caused by some kind of mite, but it doesn't quite look right for that, either.

Inailum
Cool Member

Kisal wrote:Fungi tend to grow on the surface of a leaf, so if the spots are removed or lightened when you rub a finger across the leaf, a fungal treatment might help. I will say, though, that it doesn't look like fungus to me. IMO, it looks more like a bacterial or viral infection. I'm not familiar with the foliar diseases of cukes, so I can't name anything specific without looking them up. :(

It easily could be damage caused by some kind of mite, but it doesn't quite look right for that, either.
Sorry for the delayed reply, I have been super busy for the past couple weeks. Anyway, the spots do not rub off when I run my finger over them. I spray Neem Oil on them every week or every other week. It seems its not affecting their growth, I have like 10 cucumbers on each plant. I just dunno.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”