Aya

Exciting Prospect and silly silly question

Hey all

Just found out last night that DH's family has a place on 14 acres that we are considering buying - so I'd be able to have my dream garden :D - although I'll probably get in over my head, as my enthusiasm takes over frequently, lol. I've always wanted a large beautiful garden to be able to sustain our entire family with all the produce we'll need year round. However, I don't really have many helpers in the gardening department. You guys have suggested that 1/4 acre would be a good start as far as space goes, but will that allow for melons, corn etc? Can I even grow them in my area? (Just north of Seattle) And would I be able to take care of a garden this size mostly by myself?

Also, I saw my favorite fruit in my garden catalog this year...pomegranates. I was pretty sure they only grew in South America and/or hot/humid areas. But this one says it fruits in fall and is hardy in zones 8+ (Dwarf pomegranate from Territorial Seeds) Has anyone had any experience with these at all? Can you get them to fruit in the Pacific Northwest? Zone map says I'm on the border of zones 7/8...

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

What are the heat units necessary for growing pomegranates? Also some fruits have a chill requirement, probably not these. Dwarf, grow it in a greenhouse.

Eric

Aya

I've considered buying a greenhouse kit, and have found some I like - so I suppose I could definitely grow warm weather crops if I kept them in a greenhouse..

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

There is a great nursery, Raintree, up your way in Morton, WA. Telephone 1-800-391-8892. They have a huge selection of pomegranates. I've ordered various fruiting plants from them several times and the plants have always been top quality.

Here is what they say at their site:

(Punica granatum) We are offering for the first time, a wide selection of pomegranates, each with its own complex and unique flavor. They are also among the most beautiful plants. Pomegranates require only 150 chilling hours & need well-drained soil. They are self fertile. Pomegranates ripen well in the South and in California. They grow well in the Pacific Northwest but don't get the intense summer heat they need to ripen.

This nursery has a wonderful assortment of somewhat exotic fruit that will grow and produce in your area. Might be worth your time to check out the site.

[url]https://www.raintreenursery.com/catalog/producttype.cfm?producttype=Pomegranate[/url]

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Congratulations on your prospect! I'm sure there are many of us here who would love to have that kind of land.

About the pomegranate. You could also call one of the nurseries and I'm sure that you would get a knowledgeable professional who would be glad to speak to you.

Aya

Thanks for the info on Raintree Nursery, I'll be sure and check them out. I expected that the pomegranate plants would mature and flower, but wasn't sure if the fruit would actually ripen in our not so intense summers..

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

What do you mean, we have a perfect two week summer in August. :lol:

Eric

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I am probably doing a 1/6 acre this year mself in one garden but all three make a 1/2 acre. Do your mellons and vine crops over black plastic or a good mulch and you will have less work! As for a greenhouse build one out of wood and you can add all the extras lik roof water and vents at the bottom cheap. The nice thing about my A frame greenhouse is I can use it as a shed also! Flake board is only $6 a sheet for the north wall! $300 and you have a nice 12 by 16 greenhouse. I just got 2 more 55 gallon oil barrels for water storage and the solar effect! The oil changing places sell the barrels for $10 each! I also use them to make my shelves since they are the right height!and strong! I have over 800 gallons of water in both greenhouses! My roof fills the barrels fast on a rainy day! I use water all summer for watering!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

You guys have suggested that 1/4 acre would be a good start as far as space goes, but will that allow for melons, corn etc?
One quarter acre is an ambitious garden. That is 10890 square feet. or 60' X 181.5' to put it another way.

I would suggest starting with about half that much space the first year. One eighth acre. 5445 sq ft. Yes, you would have room for melons pumpkins and corn. You could always expand if you find you can handle it. Don't jump in over your head and get overwhelmed the first year. You may find something like a Troybilt Horse to be a great helper.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

if you're doing a dwarf pomegranate, in a pot, you can probably bring it in to finish ripening in the warm, inside.

Aya

Thanks everyone for the good advice. I read that I could bring in the pomegranates in winter to finish ripening, but wasn't sure if room temperature was warm enough to do so.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”