tgplp

Beans! :) What varieties of beans are you growing?

First off, what varieties of beans are you growing? I'm growing:
Yellow Pencil Pod Wax Bush Bean
Dragon Tongue
Henderson's Black Valentine
Purple Podded Pole Bean
Blue Lake Pole
Rattlesnake

Any comments?

Also, can I start my beans indoors if I transplant them quickly, before they get too big?

Thanks!
Taryn :D

hit or miss
Green Thumb

I'm planting Jade again this year! I always direct seed them.

Rogue11

This is the first time I am trying beans and I planted Blue Lake Pole and Kentucky Blue pole beans.

I actually ended starting mine in pots (not inside so) because I had trouble direct sowing. Every time the seeds germinated snails and slugs would eat them over night. After going through that 3 or 4 times I got frustrated, planted the beans in 4 inch pots and let them grow until they had a few leaves. Then I transplanted them. They still got nippled at but not destroyed, and are growing nicely. The first set (I planted 4 sets, each 2 weeks apart) has already produced a couple handfuls of beans, the second set is starting to flower now and the last one was just put into the ground early last week. .

BP

I only have a balcony to grow on this year, so it's container (5 gallon buckets and topsy turvy's) gardening for me. I direct seeded Kentucky wonder pole beans yesterday in one of the buckets. I have a tomato cage on it for them to climb and I'm sure they will grow in and around the spindles too.

soil
Greener Thumb

were growing a few mexican heirloom beans, anasazi beans, adzuki beans, black Bolivian beans, black turtle, soybeans, and a few others.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Just two varieties right now. Purple Japanese Yard Longs and Dragon's Tongue, both pole beans. The yard longs are producing very well with the Dragon's Tongue just starting to bud flowers as they were planted a few weeks later.

I did just harvest a 5 gallon bucket full of soybeans from a 20 ft. long double planted row I use for Edamame last week. I replanted some of that area in more hot pepper plants and am considering planting some bush type beans to finish it off.

donworden
Cool Member

I must be lacking in imagination... all I have planted for beans are both wax and green... both bush beans due to space restraints.

nosta

Direct seeded bush Blue Lake.

graham

Kentucky Wonder, seeds planted Saturday morning.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I grew kentucky wonder last year but want to try a stringless type this year.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Jade.

graham

garden5 wrote:I grew kentucky wonder last year but want to try a stringless type this year.
This is my first time. Did you like the KY Wonders?

gardenbean

Yellow Wax, Garden Contender, Garden Bush and Royal Burgunday. All of my family's favorites!!

Chickenberry
Newly Registered

graham wrote:
garden5 wrote:I grew kentucky wonder last year but want to try a stringless type this year.
This is my first time. Did you like the KY Wonders?
I am growing KW too this year. First time ever. The first batch of beans we planted only about half came up. So, I went out and bought more about 4 weeks later. I composted several pots and mixed with chicken manure and planted the entire new pack after soaking overnight in water. They all came up. When they were up and looking good and healthy I transplanted all of them into the missing spaces of the former beans. All in all we should have tons this year! I'm pretty excited!

I have seen that they are stringy and I have seen that they are not... which is it? :?:

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Etna
California blackeye
Scarlet runner

Eric

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

some for dry beans, some for green...divided by species

provider - bush green beans
northeaster - pole flat green beans
vermont cranberry - pole dry beans

king of the garden lima - for 'shelly' beans, mostly, probably

gray-speckled palapye - for dry cowpeas
monkeytail - pole for dry cowpeas
red noodle bean - pole 'green' 'beans'

asian winged bean - for beans and greens

and 'moth' beans - an experiment, for drought-tolerant ground-cover dry beans

I likes me legumes.

got some (3 kinds) chickpeas (or garbanzo 'beans') going from early plantings, too...

SPierce
Greener Thumb

I'm hoping and praying that I get some ford hook lima beans this year! :D

My first year of growing any type of bean, so far so good !

bcallaha
Cool Member

Blue Lake bush, Romono pole, and Thorogreen lima bush. 1st time for the Romono. Thought we'd try something different.

Brad

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Yellow wax and Kentucky Wonder.

Unfortunately, my germination rate is turning out to be extremely low, but any beans are better than no beans.

csvd87

French Filet Bush Beans
Beer Friend Edamame
Alabama Black Butterbeans

We'll see how they do, first time growing any of them.

mansgirl

Rogue11 wrote:This is the first time I am trying beans and I planted Blue Lake Pole and Kentucky Blue pole beans.

I actually ended starting mine in pots (not inside so) because I had trouble direct sowing. Every time the seeds germinated snails and slugs would eat them over night. After going through that 3 or 4 times I got frustrated, planted the beans in 4 inch pots and let them grow until they had a few leaves. Then I transplanted them. They still got nippled at but not destroyed, and are growing nicely. The first set (I planted 4 sets, each 2 weeks apart) has already produced a couple handfuls of beans, the second set is starting to flower now and the last one was just put into the ground early last week. .
I do the exact same thing for the exact same reason. :D

I had terrible luck with Kentucky Wonder last year. So much so, that I really didn't pay attention to the bean variety I bought this year, as long as it was a bush variety I was happy. However, I did hear last year was a terrible year for beans around here, so it could have just been that. :?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”