mansgirl

Cukes and Zucchini Question

I've been looking up a lot of pictures on trellises for cukes and stuff, but they all look like big huge ramps that they grow up or a chicken wire fence. Seeing as I don't have any of that stuff lying around, but I do have lots of tomato cages, I was wondering if anyone has had success with those?

nosta

mine do fine in the taller tomato cages.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Mine do fine just sprawling on the ground. I do have plenty of space so they can grow out.

orgoveg
Green Thumb

My cucumbers also grow on tall tomato fences. They usually outgrow them and then I let them sprawl. You can trim them if you want to.

mansgirl

Jal ~ I usually let mine sprawl too, but this year we're doing even more peppers and tomatoes than we normally do (gotta have more salsa), so we're trying to conserve room. I think I'm going to be VERY busy canning salsa this summer. *sigh*
Thanks for the help everyone!

applestar
Mod

My main cuke set up is a braided nylon netting (garden netting around $6-8) strung on a 5' picket fence -- they need to be trained/guided to go back and forth and weave between the pickets along the top rail when they get too tall. Another netting is strung on a 6' high bamboo cross piece secured to a pair of bamboo uprights. I also let them scramble up an arch arbor (6.5'h) but they need additional twine strung between the metal tubing arbor frame.

My feeling is tomato cages will work but may prove to be too short.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”