pickupguy07

noob - first garden

OK.. First garden.. of course I got it out late for some items I wanted to grow.
So what I am wondering now is it getting too hot for my plants to "do" anything.
I planted some cabbage (Bonnie's best).. also some Broccoli (Bonnie's bubble) some Cauliflower (Bonnie's white cloud)

I'm new so I'm not sure I can figure out how to post pics,.. but I'll give it a shot... OK I can't figure it out.
Maybe there are instructions somewhere... I'll look and see what I need to do.

In any event here are the circumstances. I live in N.E. GA. Temps are just getting to 90* on a regular basis.
Also I was late getting these item set out. (probably 3 weeks after last frost instead of 4 weeks before)
SO now they seem to just bee doing 'nothing'. Nice big leaves, etc.. but plants don't seem to be producing anything. Cabbage and cauliflower are not producing heads, brussel sprouts I don't see anything going on.

So is it an issue that I got stuff set out too late, maybe I need some sort of tent over these items to provide shade and keep them cooler,.. be nice to get some sort of produce out of the efforts. I also planted butter crunch lettuce and it seems to be doing well.. as my iceburg lettuce seems to be producing heads.

Maybe I'm just in too big of a hurry, and it needs more time to grow. I think I lanted it first week of April?? As I said.. I know where I live that was too late.. Wanted to know if I could "help" make up for my error

Any ideas are appreciated... [/img]

OH.. One final question (really it is) for now
I read that you should NEVER plant items like cabbage, broccoli, lettuce, brissel sprouts, and cauliflower in the same place two years in a row. I read it wouldn't produce or do well.
I was curious what you all have found to be your experiences.
Last edited by pickupguy07 on Sun May 22, 2011 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pickupguy07

Cabbage
https://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t93/pickupguy07/?action=view&current=Cab.jpg

Brussel sprouts
https://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t93/pickupguy07/?action=view&current=brus.jpg

Cauliflower
https://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t93/pickupguy07/?action=view&current=cauli.jpg

Well somehow It just shows the links... and not the pics.
Should I have put the image tags in fron of and behind links

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I wouldn't have planted "winter" crop veggies this time of year with the heat you are getting. I live in New Orleans and I plant the cabbage family stuff for fall to have during the winter months.

It is even getting kind of late for tomatoes in your area with the 90 degree heat you are experiencing. I was at the local nursery just last week and they were offering tomato plants as a "buy one, get one free" deal because it is late season.

Cucumbers, pole beans, peppers of just about any variety, zucchini and yellow squash, okra, eggplant, swiss chard will all grow now and I have most of that in my garden doing quite well now. However, they have been in the ground for a couple months now. I have a problem with squash vine borers and have since lost the squash plants to them, but that is the only problem I've had so far this year.

Jeffross1968

I'm north of you, in WNC, about an hour north of the GA border. I planted in early April as well, and then killed 90% by over fertilizing 3 weeks later. So, I actually ended up re-planting all that I killed. I'm seeing much the same as you, but I will say that the stuff that survived my poisoning, just in the last 3 days, has exploded in fruit (cukes and tomatoes), after a whole lot of nothing until now.

I'm no expert, as it's my real first attempt this year as well. That being said, I thought I'd offer up my opinion anyway. I think you are probably rushing things. If the plants themselves look ok (which they do), then just keep doing what you're doing and let it happen.

I swear, I was worried just two days ago, as my tomato plants were getting big, I was seeing flowers from time to time, but no fruit. Then I go out there today to tie up the latest growth, and BAM, like 20 tomatoes are now visible. So give it time...you'll probably be fine. Don't rush it...that's what I did with the crazy fertilizer. Had I just relaxed, I'd have had a hell of a garden by now :?

pickupguy07

OK.. thanks for the replies.. anyone else feel free to post more.
This is all new to me so I am trying to soak up info like a sponge.

I think I am OK with the tomatoes also. Mine are growing like crazy, and when I see new blossoms I spray some 'blossom set' on them.
I staked my tomatoes a couple weeks ago.. and then today had to use a metal fence post to stake them again up higher. I have huge stalks and branches, and lots of tomatos.
My dad live 15 minutes from me and he has been planting tomatos the same time I did for 10 years and also has great crops. Makes tomato juice, stewed tomatos, eats them, and still has lots to give away.

I planted all my items I asked about as "plants".. (cabbage, lettuce, etc)
but all of my seed plants are going gang busters. (Corn, cucumbers, lima beans, watermellows, cantaloupe, squash etc.). All planted at end of April.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Your plants look very good. I think they just need more time. Nice garden.

About your pics, yes use the img tags like this: [img]url%20of%20pic[/img]

Or you can make a clickable link like this: Click The "Click" is the only thing that will show in the post.

On Photobucket you can just choose the whole line to copy and paste. Makes it easy.

pickupguy07

ok thanks for the pic posting info...
Do you think it might help my broccoli, cabbage etc do better if put I up some type of tent over it to keep heat down... plenty high enough to get air.. I was thinking about 5 feet high.??

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Some shade cloth might help your winter crops, but they still may struggle some. You still have plenty of time to plant summer crops though, some beans, some zucchini, maybe even peppers if you can find some well started plants. Try the broccoli again at the end of summer for a fall crop. One of the first things veggie gardeners need to learn is which like cool weather and which like warm weather. :)

pickupguy07

yeah.. we just didn't get get the plot tilled up in time..
Dad grew up on a farm, so he's pretty sharp about farming stuff.
He's "old school".. still plants stuff by the 'signs'. always seems to do pretty well

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”