Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

Lots of fire ants in pepper blossoms

I've noticed around 10 fire ants in each of my pepper blossoms. Is this a good or bad thing?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I've never seen a fire ant, since I live too far north for them. But from what I have read about them, it's hard for me to imagine them as a good thing anywhere. They mostly eat dead insects, but they are omnivores and will eat plants also, as well as live insects and small ground living animals, young trees, seedlings, plant bulbs, saplings, fruit and grass and pretty much anything that gets in their path... don't stand still too long! :)

Clearly Florida can be very challenging for gardeners! I always envy you your long growing season, but there are problems that come along with it.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I've got tons of fire ants, but have never seen any on my pepper plants. Be sure and check for aphids as the ants will spread them around on a plant. The ants and the aphids have a kind of symbiotic relationship, where the ants spread the critters around, and in return the ants get to feed on an attractive substance that the aphids produce.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

I'll look real closely for aphids.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”