JLudin

Broke cherry tomato stem. Will it survive?

Hey all, this is officially the first year for gardening for me. I sowed seeds indoors in late February, did all the necessary steps, and finally transplanted them all to the garden yesterday. However, during the transplanting of tomatoes, one of the sticky leaves caught the chicken wire fence and snapped the stem almost completely in half at the base. I snapped off the few bottom branches and buried it up to its "neck" in hopes it would survive. It drooped dramatically shortly after planting, but seems to have recovered a LITTLE bit. Just wondering what the chances are for survival? I also DID completely snap off an Anaheim pepper stem. I pulled that one out and cut my losses there.

Thought I'd throw a pic of the garden in here too...

[img]https://i55.tinypic.com/2w4mhwz.jpg[/img][/img]

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I bet the chances of it surviving are very good.

Burying it deep as you did was the right thing to do.

Best of Luck!

Steve

orgoveg
Green Thumb

First garden, huh? I'm impressed!

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

I accidentally weed whacked a tomato plant in half last week. I thought for sure it was going to die. I noticed new leaves coming out of the stem this morning. :D

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

If the node where the cotyledons were is still intact on tomatoes or peppers, the plant will send out new growth from that node. If it is broken below that point it won't.

Welcome to the forum and welcome to a great hobby. Your garden looks great.

gardenvt
Green Thumb

I knocked the tip off of our German Green tomato and decided to let it grow suckers to make up for losing the top of the stem. It looks great and in another week or so, you wouldn't know what a misfortune it had met earlier.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I had a Black Cherry last year break at the soil level when I was transplanting it. Since it was my last I violently threw it into soil (the garden) hoping for the best. It came back and did very well.

So good luck.

Actually I figured the plant would not do anything but it was worth the try. Than one day I stumbled upon a plant I wasn't expecting and it was the Black Cherry. So maybe not every time but some times you win.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Go ahead and replant it, you've got nothing to loose and an extra tomato plant to gain!

I've had really good luck planing tomato plant "pieces." One thing I've found that works is if the weather if very hot, give the newly planted piece some shade during the afternoon.

JLudin

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I've been watering the garden every day (and thanks to mother nature) and it seemed to bounce back somewhat, but it's laying flat back on the ground now. It's definitely struggling, but I'm not giving up on it!

soil
Greener Thumb

keep it real wet, it will root.

around this time of year I always cut off the long suckers, and stick them where I want more tomatoes. and in just a few days I have a ft+ tomato plant. in a week its back to growing.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”