wordwiz
Green Thumb

(Another) Good day in the garden

Or maybe a half-day, It was 3 pm before I could get to it and even then then the soil was still damp. Too wet to even think of using the tiller but I was able to hoe the top 1.5" or so, break up the crust and kill a bazillion weeds, maybe more! Spread a mix of Garden-Tone (no one around here sells Tomato-Tone) and Blood Meal over 80 tomatoes, 120 heads of Romaine Lettuce, two dozen onions, 20 basil plants and about 30 peppers. Spread newspapers between a few rows, part of the time when it was raining a bit. Sort of wish it would have rained a bit more.

Just as importantly, I was able to start and complete a bonfire. It's an annual tradition where I get rid of all the pieces of wood I accumulate during the year. Enough wood to stoke the fire for over four hours. Threw my cast iron skillets into it after the fire was going strong. I will need to clean and then season them tomorrow, but that's fine. Nothing like fixing a skillet full of food (take your pick of the ingredients) and being able to clean it out with nothing but a paper towel.

Mike

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Sounds great. It has been too wet here. You can have the next 3 days of rain we are supposed to get.

wordwiz
Green Thumb

Okay, should I send the other two days of rain to you? At least our temps are suppose to moderate and be close to normal this week.

Mike

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah we had two gorgeous days, it was wonderful! Now the weather forecast has nothing but thunderstorms and showers in it as far as the eye can see, so it looks like we are going back to the previous pattern.

altsciguy

I am optimistic. 1 week in with the garden and lettuce, mustard and radishs are up. Lost a few tomato plants but opens a couple spots to replace with variety. It was dry enought to get the first weeding in. mostly just removing clumps of weeds that the tiller did not prperly take care of. blossoms on the peas and 80% of asparagus is up (just planted it last year so watching how many crowns come back this year. Next year is the eatin' year). This week weather-wise looks good. warm temps. to help the seeds in the ground germinate and enough rain so I do not water (no seeds drying out in the dirt) but not so much rain that the ducks and geese return to my garden. (I was thinking of scrapping the garden plan and just stocking the area with fish this year but... it is better now) Well I have to get back outside.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”