greenchief

wrong side of the house

hi.. my mother-in-law got me to build her a raised bed last year.. she wanted it on a spot that didnt get morning sun but got hot afternoon sun only...I tried to tell her its the wrong side and wont get enough sun for most vegetables... she wouldnt give in after I warned her many times... so I planted it,,,the garden didnt produce as well as mine(which is just down the street)... she blamed my planting skills and my heirloom strains(passed down from late grandfather and so on) for the failed garden(which hurt me inside)... and now this year.. she wants me to plant it again..(sorry I'm gonna be out o town lol) and she wants seedlings again("oh really that sucks I just finished planting them all") LOL!... this time she wants sweet peppers and I'm wondering WILL THEY PRODUCE IN THIS SITUATION? (MEANING AFTERNOON SUN)I'm buying her nursery transplants this year......and sorry I had to vent this out somewhere (whew!)newly married, new father god help me lol........... thank you very much everyone...

johnny123

The potatoes will grow but would do alot better with full sun all day.
You are now in for the cold hard truth.
You mother-in-law is now telling everyone how stupid you are.
Good luck with her.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Sweet and green bell peppers are difficult in cooler areas. I can't get them to do much. The thinner walled Italian fryng peppers do better.

Hot afternoon sun means long cold mornings. Not good for warmth loving peppers IMO.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Where I am peppers will produce (though not nearly as well!!) with only afternoon sun. But I have a lot longer growing season than you do up there, so I can't say anything about whether it will work for her.

johnny123

Sorry, I though I read sweet potatoes.
You are probably wasting your time with the peppers in those conditions.
The plants will probably grow like trees searching for sunlight.
She is going to have more to tell everyone with the pepper plants don't produce.
She will tell everyone.
Go to the market and glue some nice peppers on the plants to save your butt. LOL
Everyone, She is telling everyone.
God Bless You.
You'll need it!!!!!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Can you say NO!

greenchief

this morning I backed out the situation by asking another family member(from her family) to do her sunless garden and deal with her... so I did some planting for myself... nothing deals with the stress like being in the garden...everyone knows of her attitute lol... and everyone sees my healthy garden just 2 houses down 8) ...(thank god its my last year living here lol) .....to everyone: thanks for the responses... good luck to you all in the dirt...

johnny123

You got that right about the relief you get in the garden.
A really bad day tuns out better spending time with the plants.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”