digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Re: Eggplant growers out there?

gardenbean wrote:HI!, I am attempting to grow 6 eggplants this year-I have never grown this vegetable before so I am charing unknown ground.

So far, I still have them on my south windowsill and they are about 5 inches in height. I will not take them out of my home until the temps here reach at least 70 and no cooler than 60 at night.........

I just wanted to know if anyone has some helpful hints to pass along about growing these veggies, as I have read they are quite fussy!!
If I had to wait until nighttime temperatures were a consistent 60°F, I wouldn't be able to set the plants out until late July. There were NO June nights that warm last year.

No, they don't like to be cold and they will really benefit from you taking a little extra effort while you are hardening them off. Tender critters, their leaves will also burn in too strong sunlight but their later garden location should be full-sun, I suppose. That's where I have always had them anyway.

I also find that green varieties are less likely to be bitter. Lighter-colored and whites seem mild as well. Of course, that mildness is why some people don't like eggplant. I think they are great at sopping up a good sauce in a casserole :) !

Be forewarned on this account: Colorado potato beetles love, love, love eggplant! . . . more than tomato or potato plants, they love eggplants.

Steve

gardenbean

So I guess it's ok in this case with eggplants to just baby them along......(which I don't have a problem with). I told myself this year that I will not "baby" my tomatos but instead will redirect that energy to the eggplants. :lol:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”