Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

Brown spots on ripening tomatoes

I've noticed brown spots on my green tomatoes. The spots are around the size of a pea and I have to clue what it is and what's causing it. Could it be too much watering?

SPierce
Greener Thumb

is it on the blossom end? pic?

thebigtomato

I was thinking the same thing. if it is blossom end rot, it could be caused by a lack of calcium. a picture would help, though. Cheers!

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

I'm pretty sure it's not blossom end rot. The brown spots are on the equator of the tomato if you will. If the tomato in thebigtomato's avatar was my tomato, the spots would be in the center of the tomato. The blossom part so far is just fine.

I gotta learn how to use my camera.

Avonnow
Green Thumb

Hey Francis, Sherry - Merritt Island, I have some with brown spots and some that I have picked to can, were just that - blemishes from rubbing against branches and such, nothing bad inside. I noticed some brown on my peppers and I think they are sun scald, I really think that the heat we had last week (uppers 90-'s) really was too much. They look almost burnt. So I watch what I trim away to make sure the fruits are protected. This week much nicer, but I know that is short lived.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

The past 3 days have been beautiful. I'm sure that gave the plants a small window to relax before the heat returns tomorrow.......and for a long time after that. Hopefully our daily summer storms start soon (should be within a week or two) and cool things down.

Up next, Hurricane Season 2011. My garden for sure would be destroyed if another Charley came through. :cry:

With that said, I'm hoping the spots on the tomatoes was from just rubbing against other braches or heat related.

Avonnow
Green Thumb

Yeah those two wind storms we had in the last 60 days did damage and they were small and quick - I can't imagine what 1 hurricane would do - even a small one. Listening to news now, this may be last day for the nicer weather and back to upper 90's - summer came to fast this year.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”