orgoveg
Green Thumb

lorax wrote:On the beans front, 'Rattlesnake' pole beans (which are actually an edible-podded type) have stood up immensely well to the dry heat here in Ecuador's altitude desert, so they'd likely do quite well for you also. You can also try Favas and really any of the Latin American bean cultivars. (Frejol Pinto, Frejol de Fresa, Frejol Blanco, etc etc.)
I was going to say that in Latin America, it gets very hot and folks eat alot of beans down there. Pinto, black, white, etc. They must be hardy in hot weather. In fact, I don't think I can grow them successfully in Ohio due to the short season. It doesn't stay hot long enough.

Avonnow
Green Thumb

Wando Peas

I got Wando - I believe from Baker creek and I do love their selection and thier yearly magazine and their Heirloom publication.
I love this! - There can be no other occupation like gardening in which, if you were to creep up behind someone at their work, you would find them smiling.

lorax
Greener Thumb

orgoveg wrote:
lorax wrote:On the beans front, 'Rattlesnake' pole beans (which are actually an edible-podded type) have stood up immensely well to the dry heat here in Ecuador's altitude desert, so they'd likely do quite well for you also. You can also try Favas and really any of the Latin American bean cultivars. (Frejol Pinto, Frejol de Fresa, Frejol Blanco, etc etc.)
I was going to say that in Latin America, it gets very hot and folks eat alot of beans down there. Pinto, black, white, etc. They must be hardy in hot weather. In fact, I don't think I can grow them successfully in Ohio due to the short season. It doesn't stay hot long enough.
Actually, beans are considered to be a "cool weather" crop here - they're generally grown in the highlands, where the weather is more similar to that of California. However, they do want a full 6-month growing season, which you up in Ohio don't have.

OP is in California, though, and they'll do just fine there - so, VJA, go on down to the grocery store and pick up some dried Mexican and Latin American beans from the produce section! Those normally sprout and grow just fine.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Cynthia, Modesto, oh ! :oops:
God must think highly of animals - He created them before creating us !

vja4Him

Tate wrote:I am in zone 9a. I only have about 800 sq. ft. in my suburban garden so I have to continually plant new crops for better yields.

I follow my green beans with purple hull peas. I like black-eyes as well, but purple hulls are more flavorful, IMHO. Purple hulls can be picked as snaps, shelled peas, or left to dry for storage. The only issue is the aphids love them in my area so I have to spray them with water, insecticidal soap, or garlic pepper tea.

rareseeds.com have some purple hulls. I order some specialty types from there (like the 6-week purple hulls) and others I get local.

Good luck!

Tate
Do you make your own Garlic Pepper Tea? How can I make my own?
-- Jim the Wild Gardener

> Climate Zone #8/14
> Hardiness Zones #8-9a

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”