garden5
Super Green Thumb

Leaves Shriveled Up On Tomato Seedlings...What Happened?

My seedling have been under the light for about a month and a half and and some are on their first set of true leaves.

However, two of them had their leaves shrivel up and die. Now the seedlings are just stalks. A third looks like it's going the same way. Any thoughts on what happened?

Thanks a lot.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Too dry or too much fertilizer!

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

What kind of lights and what temperature?

orgoveg
Green Thumb

I had that happen to mine and I figured it was disease from the soil that I used. I cut off the affected leaves and spritzed them with a milk/water mixture. They recovered very well.

That's not necessarily what you have going on. It sounds like you have no leaves left at all in which case I'm not feeling optimistic.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Something hasn't been going well. It shouldn't have taken six weeks to get to the first true leaves in the first place. Without more information and pictures, it would be hard to say what the problem is. As TZ noted it could be temps, lights, too much or too little water, etc. But you might be better off just to get the conditions right and start over. With proper conditions you should have healthy plants with first true leaves in about two weeks.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Sorry for the lack of info, guys.

OK, so perhaps it wasn't 6 weeks. I don't have the dates in front of me, but I know that as far as growth is concerned, they are ding about as well as they did last year. These true leaves didn't just come on, they've been in.The plants themselves are probably around 5 weeks old or so.

They are in a basement, in 72 cell flats, with 2 6500k fluorescent bulbs (1 fixture) on them 14 hrs. a day.

The only thing different from last year is the growing medium. I'm using Organic Jiffy Seed Starting Mix, which is peat and vermiculite. However, I've got about 30 other tomatoes and 60 other peppers that are all doing find :?.

I water all of them the same time with the same amount, give or take. The basement is unheated, but like I said, it's the same as it was last year.

Interestingly enough, these 2 plants were right next to each other and were both German red strawberry. They were not from 2 gen. seed. A third plant is showing signs now, this time a super beefsteak. It's not right next to the former 2, though.

Thanks for any help.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”