tedln
Super Green Thumb

Diva Cucumber!

I had a fresh salad for lunch from my garden today. It had Swiss chard, lettuce, onion, radish, tomato, and cucumber and some other stuff I can't remember.

The star of the salad was the Diva cucumber. Cucumber on a salad is usually a background player for me. Most cucumber varieties when advertized as "sweet" only mean they are not bitter. The Diva tasted as if it had been injected with a small amount of sugar. I had a bite of one in the garden the other day and was surprised by it's taste. I had already thrown the majority of the cucumber to my Labrador retriever and thought about jumping the fence and wrestling my dog for the remainder, but decided to simply wait for the next ripe one to see if my taste buds were playing tricks on me.

The tomato on the salad was the Big Beef hybrid variety. Since we are still very early in the harvest season for tomatoes, I wasn't expecting a lot of flavor in the large tomato. It seems most tomatoes develop the best flavor in hot weather and we haven't had any hot weather. The Big Beef surprised me with the rich tomato flavor I had not tasted since last summer. The taste is hard to describe, but you know it when you get it. It is simply the difference between store bought and home grown tomatoes. If the Big Beef was an indication of what awaits me in the future, I can't wait. The Brandywines, Black Krims, and Cherokee Purples may knock my socks off with flavor and some of them are almost ready to harvest.

Ted

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

You are making my mouth water. We haven't even planted tomatoes yet in this country. I do have some little green onions, and the asparagus is on. Spinach, lettuce, radishes and strawberries not far off.

gardenvt
Green Thumb

Diva is a great cucumber - can almost taste it now. And tomatoes - at least I have some lovely roasted toms in the freezer for soups and sauces. Yes, I think it will be definitely be tomato soup and salad for dinner with a multi grain roll. A few crumbles of local blue cheese in the soup ought to do it.

I can't wait for fresh heirloom tomatoes! I am growing 22 tomatoes - 18 varieties. I roast mine in the oven though the grill will be put to work this summer. Have you ever smoked tomatoes? Try that with the cherry toms - it really makes for a great salad or pasta dish or on top of homemade pizza.

See - you made me hungry.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Good to know about the Diva variety. I've not yet gotten my tomatoes planted. I'm trying to get them a little larger than what they are under lights since I started them late this year.

OrganicTexasMama

Ah, that's wonderful! But also makes me sad. I started Diva cucumbers from starts and am down to one plant left. It seems to be succumbing to some mysterious ailment, like several of its kin did. So sad, as I have been looking forward to trying the cukes!

My Big Beef tomatoes are doing reasonably well, though. The first two are growing by the day and I can't wait for them to be ready to eat! I'm just hoping it's not too hot now to get more. We've had lots more flowers but, so far, no obvious fruit other than these two. Glad it's a delicious choice, since it's about all I'll be getting from my garden! :lol:

tedln
Super Green Thumb

OTM,

A few of my Diva cucumbers did the same thing. I grew mine from seed in the soil. After they were two or three feet tall, I started training a few to the trellis that couldn't find their way up. One day I moved a couple of very healthy ones onto the trellis and by evening, both had wilted. I checked the next morning and both had recovered. I don't start cucumbers in pots because they always seem very sensitive to being transplanted. Even planting in the soil, I plant them about three inches apart and then thin to about twelve inches apart. Many of them die soon after germinating. I'm growing three varieties of cucumbers and they are a good vegetable to grow in our climate because you can plant them in the soil all summer long and they will grow. My spring planted ones usually wear out by mid summer, so I pull them and plant replacement ones that produce into fall.

My Big Beef tomatotes (first year for the variety) are loaded with large fruit and we are already eating some weighing about one pound. I'm really impressed with the variety and understand they should keep producing through the hot summer. I hope people who know are right.

Ted

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I never did get any Divas. I ended up planting Burpee straight eight.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Straight Eight is a good cucumber. Pick them before they get full size and they are still sweet. When they get full size, especially in hot weather; they get too bitter for me to eat.

I once overlooked a straight eight growing near the ground and didn't find it till fall when I was cleaning my garden. It was bright yellow, weighed about five pounds; and tasted like a musk melon.

Ted

iast8

Just ran across this thread yesterday, and have a question.
Does anyone know if there are Diva cucumbers out there that are "heirloom" variety, or are they all hybrids? I don't know anything about cucumber varieties, at all.

Thanks!

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I'm only familiar with it as a hybrid variety. I think it was hybridized by Johnny's Select Seeds, but I'm not sure.

Ted

iast8

Thanks for the info!

OrganicTexasMama

Ted, I really appreciate the info! I decided to order some Diva seeds as my little plant seemed to be losing its battle. Its biggest/oldest leaf was turning bright green (better than brown?) and it just seemed like a lost cause, altogether.

Apparently, the key to gardening is to give up on your plants, order replacements, and then watch them recover! Literally, the day after I ordered seeds, it started making massive strides! I actually think it may fruit! :shock: The biggest leaves are still wilting during the heat of the day, but I am just in awe of this little plant.

Unfortunately, I probably need to transplant it, as it's still in a "rescue them before they all die from being root bound" pot with three (also finally healthy, after I ordered replacements) watermelon vines. Little overcrowded, to be sure! I"m almost thinking my best bet is to move the Diva to a new container and plant some of the seed in with it, just in case. I would really hate to kill such a resilient little plant, though!

I'm not having nearly the success with my Big Beef as you are, unfortunately. I have just two fruit growing, despite three sets of blooms so far, each with (what I assume is typical) 3-4 blooms per set. Of course, it's pretty hot (low 90s), dry, and windy here. I'm really hoping it'll pick up and produce more, though!

It's very encouraging to hear about successes in a similar climate. Thanks!

OTM

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I hate to say it again, but cukes do better planted from seed right where they will grow. Buying cucumbers in a pot is a waste of money.

Diva? Hmm, haven't tried that one. Will see if the local store has that variety. I planted Marketmore 76, Lemon and Armenian. I planted the Lemons on the 5 of May, and they were up when it snowed this morning. I may have to replant? The others I just planted Friday.

Oh, it is stress that makes cukes bitter. Too hot, not enough water, insect damage etc.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I know your right Jal, but some varieties have more tendency to become bitter than others. I've never seen a variety advertised as bitter, but I've seen a lot of varieties advertised as "never bitter". For me, the Straight Eight variety always became bitter if allowed to mature until a slight yellow color began to show.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

iast8 wrote:Just ran across this thread yesterday, and have a question.
Does anyone know if there are Diva cucumbers out there that are "heirloom" variety, or are they all hybrids? I don't know anything about cucumber varieties, at all.

Thanks!
Johnny's, who sell Diva seed, doesn't say anything about it being a Beit Alpha cucumber but the [url=https://extension.unh.edu/Agric/Docs/Jan2011vegfruitnewsletter.pdf]University of New Hampshire[/url]classifies it as such.

There are a few open pollinated Beit Alpha cucumbers. Last year I grew Muncher. Here is what [url=https://cuke.hort.ncsu.edu/cucurbit/wehner/vegcult/cucumberjr.html]North Carolina State says[/url] about them, "Characteristics: middle eastern slicer, 6.5" fruit length, medium green, 59 day maturity. Resistance: cucumber mosaic virus. Similar: Beit Alpha."

Muncher was a nice little cucumber - kind of wrinkled but very sweet and with a very thin skin. I was surprised to learn that it was a Beit Alpha type. I grew Diva 1 year and got 1 cucumber off of one hill of 3 stunted little plants. I don't think it liked my garden environment, at all!

Steve

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for the tip about the straight eight, Ted.

Not only do they get bitter when left to grow large, they also get full of seeds!

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Garden5,

That is another reason I grow the Gynoecious varieties (female blooms only). Since there are no male blooms, they can't be pollinated. I can grow really large cucumbers and they will still have no crunchy seeds in them.The Sweet Success variety has been the best Gynoecious cucumber for me for about five years. I want to try the Sweet Slicer and see how well they work. I don't know if the Diva variety fits into that category, but so far; I haven't noticed any seeds. I haven't harvested any Muncher variety yet, so I will hopefully get to see what they are like soon.

With the exception of the Munchers which were planted later, the Sweet Success and Diva cucumbers have become almost dormant. They are producing only a few cucumbers per week and the Munchers haven't started production yet. The lower leaves on the Sweet success and Divas have turned brown and dried up. It is normal, but it seems to have occurred earlier than last year. They are still producing green growth tips on the vines and should start producing more cucumbers soon. It seems odd to have that many cucumber vines (12) and only a few cucumbers. I'm thinking about planting some more seed near the base of each cucumber vine. With the leaves gone at the bottom, the new vines would get plenty of sunlight. My second crop in mid summer last year was much more productive than my spring crop. In my garden, it seems the cucumbers which germinate in the summer heat always germinate and grow faster than those planted in the cool spring.

Ted

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”