WABI1967
Newly Registered

Declaring War on Garden Vandals

My garden is being vandalized. I finished planting tomatoes, eggplant and a few other items in one of my raised beds and when I came out the next day about half of my plants had been pulled out of the ground and scattered about. There were signs of digging, but I was unable to identify any paw prints. My gardens are inside a 5 ft. chain length fence. I am thinking Possum or Raccoon. Anyone have any experience with varmints vandalizing your gardens? If so, any suggestions?

MrBoZiffer

I haven't had any trouble yet, but a bunch of raccoons, opossums, and feral cats live behind my house. I went ahead and put up a moveable electric fence to make sure they don't come in. It also helps keep my dogs away from the garden, otherwise they might dig and pee everywhere.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

This has me wondering, do yo fertilize your plants with any kind of fish meal or fish emulsion? I've heard that this stuff lite really draws raccoons and skunks and they dig up the plants in order to get to the "fish" that they believe to be under them.

hit or miss
Green Thumb

I guess you could set out some cat food for them, that might give them something else to concentrate on. Sweeney's makes some animals repellents you could try also. You listed some pretty tough to discourage critters as possible culprits.

Welcome to the forum also! :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, raccoons would be a good guess. And definitely if you planted with any kind of fish product they will dig your plants up to get to it. But I have had the same thing happen just planting things with compost. I don't know if the compost wasn't quite finished enough or what.

seargantbaker
Newly Registered

rainbowgardener wrote:Yeah, raccoons would be a good guess. And definitely if you planted with any kind of fish product they will dig your plants up to get to it. But I have had the same thing happen just planting things with compost. I don't know if the compost wasn't quite finished enough or what.
I mulch with a lot of compost and live near a canyon so I've been dealing with raccoons digging since moving here. In regards to them digging in your plantings using compost I believe it's due to the worms. Even if the compost itself doesn't have many worms in it they seem to be attracted by the rich moist organics. In my (non fish fertilizer using) experience raccoons are more interested in the bugs than my veggies.

WABI1967
Newly Registered

Thank all of you for your imput, I agree with the fish factor, but have not yet gotten my defences in place.

ruggr10
Green Thumb

Actually, it wasn't raccoons...

I did it.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”