Signal30
Cool Member

Rain, rain, rain!

Like another thread, I live near Cincinnati. I am doing my best to do everything right. I made raised beds, fenced them in and everything is ready. This is my first year gardening.

The only problem is, is that all this rain, I can't plant, right? I was able to get some good dirt manure mix and it is still so wet to the point that if you threw it against a wall it would stick.

I started from seeds with a horrible lack of sun they have grown slowly. They are ready to plant, just waiting for dry enough soil.

Is there anyway I can plant with the soil so wet, or should I just wait?

gardenvt
Green Thumb

I can empathize with all the rain. It has rained since Friday night and stopped awhile ago here in VT but there is the promise for more every day through Monday. I have so much to do.

To answer your question, the raised beds should drain well. Give it a few days and check to see if it is sopping wet or just damp. As long as it isn't pooling, you sould be fine.

Signal30
Cool Member

gardenvt wrote:I can empathize with all the rain. It has rained since Friday night and stopped awhile ago here in VT but there is the promise for more every day through Monday. I have so much to do.

To answer your question, the raised beds should drain well. Give it a few days and check to see if it is sopping wet or just damp. As long as it isn't pooling, you sould be fine.

It's not pooling, it's just wet and clumpy. It's really wet now because it's raining.

I was lucky yesterday to be able to mow the lawn. Even then their were spots where my mower was leaving ruts. It was getting high though so I had to cut it.

I also still have a yard to mulch. So much to do and so behind.

cityfarm
Newly Registered

The rain is also taking a toll here. It's been going for a 4 days straight now and may not stop until next week!
I'm afraid my veggies are dying. I took a chance and put a few San Marzano seedlings in the ground last week. They're not wilted, but have not shown any sign of growth at all, same with the zucchini plant.
It was warm at the time of planting , but we got hit with a sudden cold front!...

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Its raining here too. I wanted to do some more planting today. I will just wait until the surface is dry anyway.

Signal30
Cool Member

I guess I picked a bad year to start gardening.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

gardenvt wrote:I can empathize with all the rain. It has rained since Friday night and stopped awhile ago here in VT but there is the promise for more every day through Monday. I have so much to do.

Goes to show you how it works sometimes. I live in New Orleans and I've only gotten about 1 inch of rain for well over 40 days now in the form of about 1/2 hour of rain a few days ago. I've had to water the garden quite often with the high winds and summer approaching.

We've gotten a bit of a break in the temperature with a very unexpected cool front moving through that will keep our temperatures down for about a week, but no rain in sight.

altsciguy

Do not worry signal, In just a few short months we will be complaining about how dry it is, all of plants wilting away in the heat and where can/how can I get some water to my veggies. Thats farmin' thats gardenin'. You picked a fine year to start!!!! Great to have you!!
oh yea if you want to get ahead of the game lol start on that rain barrel water storage system now lol Have fun, enjoy the rewards.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Have you tilled your garden already? If so, then I don't think you will have to make sure that the garden is perfectly dry, just not sopping wet.

The one area early rains plague gardeners is tilling. If you till when wet, you end up with clumps. However, since you water your plants after planting them anyway, I don't think you should worry too much about merely planting them.

Signal30
Cool Member

Well thanks everyone for your support. As I said this is my first year ever gardening. I have at least gotten the hard part out of the way in reference to getting started. I built a 4X8 raised bed, and scored two 4X4 beds on Craigslist for $15.00 brand new.

I befriended a employee at Tractor Supply and was able to get a free truckload of dirt/manure mix.

I put in some posts and fenced it in to protect the area from wildlife.

I started many plants from seed, starting with the first batch in March. I had a little powder mildew issue that killed a few plants, but the rest pulled through.

Before I started hardening I had all my sprouts in the garage next to a window. The days that there was no sun (there was plenty) the plants were under grow lights and fans to reduce the powder mildew risk again.

I don't know what I'm really doing but I'm doing the best I can with a little helpful advice from a few gardeners I know.

Everything is ready. The only thing I actually have to do is PLANT. I haver been patient (Which isn't always a good trait of mine), but I can't help to feel a little restless from the months of relentless rain.

At least I'm not alone. Everyone on the east coast seems to be going through the same thing.

FYI: This year in Major League Baseball is looking like it will make a all time record for having the most rainouts of games in a season. (30 so far).

All the grunt work is done

hit or miss
Green Thumb

If you can tolerate the weather get them in the ground. With the growing medium you are using you shouldn't have to worry too much.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

There are a bunch of us Cincinnati gardeners around here, I'm one too.

Yes indeed it has been VERY rainy and slow to warm up. But my stuff has all been planted for weeks. Just go for it! :)

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

It dropped down to 36 degrees the other night.
We have the heat back on... in May!
We are suppose to have daily rain for the next 10 days!
We have even had some severe hail storms that damaged vehicles pretty badly.

We tilled, then it rained, rained, and rained. So, seems the only answer is to just dig a hole and plant what we can, and not create too many clods of mud to dry into hard stuff.

wordwiz
Green Thumb

Signal,

You could always buy a roll of plastic and cover your bed with it so it doesn't collect more rain. That's what I did and I've managed to plant strawberries, potatoes, beans, peppers, lettuce, tomatoes, onions and carrots even though part of my garden has a lot of clay in it.

Mike

gardenvt
Green Thumb

If you are gardening in raised beds, they should drain well and planting won't be an issue.

We were all first time gardeners - happy planting!

soil
Greener Thumb

gardeners complaining about rain? this thread is silly.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

It could be worse. I woke to snow sheeting from the sky and a thick layer of snow already coating my covered plants. The temp has not risen above 38 so far, so I can't remove the covers from my plants to see whether or not they made it. I will be reluctant to remove the covers tomorrow (if the weather permits) to view the destruction. It was last year at about this time that I lost my watermelon plants to rain. This year, well, it's early to tell, but I probably lost them to snow.

Nevertheless, in six weeks, this will be a faded memory. It's the gardening gamble. Sometimes you get lucky. Sometimes you don't. Next year will be different. One day, I will have a perfect watermelon year! And, in the cup half-full area, I'm betting my new strawberries are loving this!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”