mayo

Transplanting after 3 weeks

Hi all,

About 3 weeks or so ago I planted some onion and garlic bulbs as well as some cabbage and lettuce seeds in a 4' x 10' garden bed right off of our patio. Now, finally fed up with how long spring seems to be extending, I bought supplies to build a hoop house over the bed.

If I want to put the hoop house over this particular bed so that I can get to it during winter (I'd like to see what I can grow under it), will I kill these plants if I put them in one of my other garden beds? I'd like to think it would be as if I'm transplanting indoor seedlings to their spots in a garden bed, but this is my first time growing these and I don't know if these are better left alone.

Please and thank you for any advice.

2cents
Green Thumb

transplanting onions after they are started is difficult, I don't know why, it has just been tough for me. :( If it were me and they needed to move, I would take a ton of soil when digging them up and wash them off with lots of water before replanting.
Garlic can be moved. :)
Never tried to move cabage or lettuce. :?:
good luck

mayo

Thank you 2cents for your...2 cents ;)

I moved everything but the garlic and technically the cabbage. What I thought were cabbage sprouts were something else entirely. They're looking like artichoke offshoots!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Lettuce and cabbage transplant pretty easily. Agree about the onions though. In general root crops don't take as well to moving as leaf crops.

orgoveg
Green Thumb

I'm not sure why you would want to move those things now. They will be ready to harvest long before winter sets in so you can build your hoop house after that. Transplanting slows the growth of any plant, whether it can tolerate it or not. Maybe I'm missing something? (Or maybe you're just excited to put the hoop house together now. I understand that.)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”