BP

WinglessAngel wrote:
BP wrote:Welcome, I'm Bret. I'm no master gardener, but am an experienced deer hunter. I can tell you 2 things a deer can't stand. Human urine and cigarette smoke/butts. This may be more than you want to do, but if you bottle your urine and dispense it around the garden on posts or whatever is available (not just the ground) you will keep deer away for a few days or until it rains. If you are a smoker or have a friend who is, put butts around the garden. this works in the country, but if you are in a highly populated area where deer are used to people, build a box out of very thin wood and put a solar windup radio in it. Play that radio all night at a volume you can hear at 20 yards away. they will hear it double the distance you can atleast, but no matter how people adapted they are, they won't get close to human voices. The box is needed for rain and dew protection. Hope one of these methods works for you, please update if you try these.
Our whitetails must be smarter lol.
I do have to say I disagree with the ciggarette butts! ive seen it happen when I lived in texas on 3 acres on a lake, deer LOVE cigg butts and will eat them, that will only draw them into your garden areas and I agree with not using the urine as a solution as well. plant a diversionary garden far enough away to drwa the deer to it and NOT to your garden, they will just get drawn in by curiosity of the smell of the urine and come in and eat the cigg butts then move on to your hard won garden :(

Signal30
Cool Member

Like someone said the deer netting does work.

However...

If it is in your lawn, be very careful with your gas or electric powered weed eater. The line from the trimmer can really damage your deer netting. It can also wrap around your line spool.

I spent the extra money and got 100 feet of 5ft welded fence.

Sorry, I have only read bit's and pieces, can you use welded fence or is that not allowed?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I don't have much trouble with deer here. I have used a radio in the corn patch to discourage skunks. That seems to work.

What I suggest for the deer, is a motion light with two sockets on it. Put a light in one and get a plug to put in the other so you can plug in a radio. Deer may get used to a radio or a light if left on constantly, but when it all of a sudden comes on they will bolt. The hard rock station :) nothing wants to listen to that.

When I lived in another place by the river, the deer were always around, but I had a dog and I had a cable the length of the garden with a pulley and chain on it so the dog had that much range. He kept deer and raccoons out.

One other thing......... EAT DEER!

garden5
Super Green Thumb

One thing I heard but have never tried is to run a strand or two of fishing line around the garden. Supposedly, the deer feel it, but can't see it, so they get spooked and leave.

brandon558
Cool Member

garden5 wrote:One thing I heard but have never tried is to run a strand or two of fishing line around the garden. Supposedly, the deer feel it, but can't see it, so they get spooked and leave.
This is what ive done recently, black 400lb fishing line on stakes around the garden. Between that and the radio hopefully it will keep them out for the most part.

Thanks again for the the suggestions.

Jal_ut- Is there a certain motion light you reccomend? Ive seen ads in magazines for the Night Guard, anyone had any experience with these?

Thanks

Brandon

johnny123

[img]https://i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae263/nemf/HenryGoldenBoy22.jpg[/img]

Canadian Farmer Guy

johnny123 wrote:[img]https://i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae263/nemf/HenryGoldenBoy22.jpg[/img]
You sir, have excellent taste in deer solutions :D

I do believe we could be friends.

CFG

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Jal_ut- Is there a certain motion light you reccomend? Ive seen ads in magazines for the Night Guard, anyone had any experience with these?
I can't make a specific recommendation. I just got one from Lowe's. It is a standard patio or front sidewalk type that most people put two 150 W outdoor floods in. You can get a plug to screw in one socket to plug in the radio. I guess you can still get those? If not, you can easily just wire it up direct with a couple of wirenuts.

jordanleereynols

go to ebay and search for motion activated sprinkler....kill 2 birds with one stone.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”